Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many states have a helmet law?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 12:38 AM
stevegray
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many states have a helmet law?

in PA, you can only go helmet free if ....
A- you have been licensed for 2 years
or
B- you have completed the saftey course

I meet both requirements, but I always wear my full-face helmet anyway. I ride 112 miles a day commuting to work, and just don't want all that stuff that collects on my visor to collect on my face.

What I do like about being able to go helmet free though is that when I just want to pull my bike around back and put it in the garage I don't have to worry about suiting up so I don't get a ticket.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:03 AM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also met both requirements(so does my wife) but I still say there are a hell of alot of people in Pa that don't.That's why it's getting harder to get a permit.You have to take the question test before you can get a permit now.I got two letters from the state warning me about that(because both bikes are registered to me).I guess they don't check thier records because I have been licensed since 1989.Less than one year after buying my first Sportster.Where in Pa are you maybe we can hook up for a ride.I also like not needing a helmet to park the bikes but they could get me on the glasses portion of the law.I usually don't put them on when I park the bikes.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:13 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The Government can make recommendations dealing with their view of personal safety issues for individuals, but I don't believe in the 'Big Brother' theory of having their beliefs becoming mandated laws.

We are lucky enough to live in a Country where (for the most part) individuals can digest available information and make their own decision when it comes to determining their own personal safety when riding motorcycles.

Wearing, or not wearing helmets, 'body armor riding suits', or whatever should be the decision of each individual, not some Government Agency.

I don't try to force my beliefs on others, and I expect the same in return.

That being said, I haven't worn helmets in over 30 years of riding, but I can respect the decision of others that feel the opposite.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:18 AM
stevegray
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: diablo666

I also met both requirements(so does my wife) but I still say there are a hell of alot of people in Pa that don't.That's why it's getting harder to get a permit.You have to take the question test before you can get a permit now.I got two letters from the state warning me about that(because both bikes are registered to me).I guess they don't check thier records because I have been licensed since 1989.Less than one year after buying my first Sportster.Where in Pa are you maybe we can hook up for a ride.I also like not needing a helmet to park the bikes but they could get me on the glasses portion of the law.I usually don't put them on when I park the bikes.
You actually have to take a written test now? Thats nuts. I know a lot of people that have been riding for years and never got their license, they just kept renewing their permit. I for one just got the saftey course and got my license right away to be done with it.

I am from cambria county Ebensburg/Altoona/Johnstown area. I work in State College however, hence the 112 miles a day of commuting, but that allows me to get a lot of riding in.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:23 AM
stevegray
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

The Government can make recommendations dealing with their view of personal safety issues for individuals, but I don't believe in the 'Big Brother' theory of having their beliefs becoming mandated laws.

We are lucky enough to live in a Country where (for the most part) individuals can digest available information and make their own decision when it comes to determining their own personal safety when riding motorcycles.

Wearing, or not wearing helmets, 'body armor riding suits', or whatever should be the decision of each individual, not some Government Agency.

I don't try to force my beliefs on others, and I expect the same in return.

That being said, I haven't worn helmets in over 30 years of riding, but I can respect the decision of others that feel the opposite.
I agree, it should be our decision. If you don't want to wear a helmet you sure as heck aren't a danger to society, so why should there be a law? I think the only reason they have these laws in the first place is to have another means of producing revenue through tickets.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:52 AM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you need to take a test now.The permit thing that has gone on for years with most people is gone.The letter only goes to people that bought bikes this year.So if you had yours for a while you won't get that.Your freinds will get a suprise when they go to renew their permit though.A permit doesn't allow you to ride after dark or carry an unlisenced passenger either.Most people do that however like a guy that works with me.His permit has just expired and he needs a new one.I told him to just go take the class.I would be more than willing to go back and do the safety couse again and then take the advanced couse.They were teaching me advanced riding skills during the safety program because they could tell I already knew how to ride a bike.There were (people in my class that didn't as the amount of crashes and dropped bikes showed).If you ever come out near western Pa give me a holler.I live near Pittsburgh.20 miles north actually.If I come your way I"ll let you know.Old fender guy is right though,I do think the government needs to let those that ride decide on the helmets.I choose to wear one but people that don't should not have to.Provided they operate within the law.All they have to lose is the permit status.