Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rallyrunner seat coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 02:58 AM
USMCNewdog
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rallyrunner seat coming loose

Folks,

I recently got a rallyrunner seat for my 08 sporty, and installed it with the fancy bolt that you hand tighten. I then rolled up to school to pick up the kids, and seat shifted back causing the front to pop out of the groove. Luckily I was pretty much stopped, I dont think that would have been fun rolling down the road. I pulled it apart real quick and tightened it up the best I could, but the seat still shifts.

I took a closer look and see that the tab on the back of the seat is a slot versus the hole in the badlander seat I had before. I dont think that new bolt will get tight enough with the goofy rubber washer in there. I had the darn thing so tight it took me forever to get it off. Even with it super tight I could apply backwards pressure causing the seat to shift on that slotted tab! I had rode to work, and got bored so I ran home getting the original screw from the badlander seat which has a metal "locking" washer which gripped on that tab great!

The old screw isnt quite wide enough for the slotted tab though, I just dont see why they would put a slot which would allow the seat to move back and forth! I searched the forum and saw people were adding metal to the front slot to lock it in place better. Anyone else noticed the seat moving in the slot? I thought about taking the new bolt and a pair of vice grips and really cranking down on it!! then while I was typing this it occurred to me to take the metal washer from the old screw and use that on the new one instead of the rubber one which came with it.

If anyone has fixed this issue let me know otherwise I will try my idea and report back!
thanks in advance, Mike

Old 03-20-2010, 03:00 AM
USMCNewdog
Cruiser

I should have added that the wife loves the new seat over the badlander! We went on two 1 1/2 rides, and she said the new seat is much better than the old one so I would recommend it! I dont think it took away from the appearance to much, but I think it may have moved me forward alittle but not enough to really cause an issue. I did wait to add the new seat until the winter, so I havent rode with the badlander for 4 months ( I thought it would make it easier to take the new seat!).

Old 04-17-2011, 09:07 PM
iron fist
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same seat ant it slides side to side at the front, by the gas tank. I'm taking it back tomorow

Old 04-18-2011, 12:03 AM
eviltwin415
Tourer

I have the rallyrunner too. It moves a touch and may have come out in the front once or twice when I first got it, but I also might not have had it on right. I'm not using the hand tighten bolt or allen socket one though. (Sorry for my poor hardware terminology) I'm using a regular bolt you would use a socket wrench to tighten, and I haven't had the problem since I first used it. I think it's just a matter of having it cranked down pretty good.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:24 AM
USMCNewdog
Cruiser

I ended up putting a piece of rubber inbetween the fender and the nut, and it locked it down good ever since!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:09 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure about the rallyrunner, but I was looking at the sidekick seat this past weekend and read on here that the front tab was alot smaller then the one on the stock seat and other seats and that it pops out of the slot by the tank. Well after looking at it the tab is alot smaller and it does not have spot for the seat horn to lock into so I'm sure that would make it move arond lot more as well. The Sidekick also has the slot on the rear mounting tab instead of a hole-have no idea why?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:12 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by USMCNewdog
Folks,

I recently got a rallyrunner seat for my 08 sporty, and installed it with the fancy bolt that you hand tighten. I then rolled up to school to pick up the kids, and seat shifted back causing the front to pop out of the groove. Luckily I was pretty much stopped, I dont think that would have been fun rolling down the road. I pulled it apart real quick and tightened it up the best I could, but the seat still shifts.

I took a closer look and see that the tab on the back of the seat is a slot versus the hole in the badlander seat I had before. I dont think that new bolt will get tight enough with the goofy rubber washer in there. I had the darn thing so tight it took me forever to get it off. Even with it super tight I could apply backwards pressure causing the seat to shift on that slotted tab! I had rode to work, and got bored so I ran home getting the original screw from the badlander seat which has a metal "locking" washer which gripped on that tab great!

The old screw isnt quite wide enough for the slotted tab though, I just dont see why they would put a slot which would allow the seat to move back and forth! I searched the forum and saw people were adding metal to the front slot to lock it in place better. Anyone else noticed the seat moving in the slot? I thought about taking the new bolt and a pair of vice grips and really cranking down on it!! then while I was typing this it occurred to me to take the metal washer from the old screw and use that on the new one instead of the rubber one which came with it.

If anyone has fixed this issue let me know otherwise I will try my idea and report back!
thanks in advance, Mike

I sent you a PM about the badlander seat-let me know. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2011, 02:25 PM
bmrgold
Cruiser

I had the same issue with my C&C seat... I have since wrapped the tab with some thin foam and electrical tape and it is preventing it from sliding back and forth in the front... the sliding back and forth in the front is what is causing it to pop out.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:03 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer

Originally Posted by USMCNewdog
I ended up putting a piece of rubber inbetween the fender and the nut, and it locked it down good ever since!
Yeah, I forgot, I think I had to buy that too when I got the seat.