Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip on preference

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Playashaft
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip on preference

I am looking to add a little sound to my xl1200c, I contemplated full exhaust systems but have concluded with what I want slip on’s will work just fine. I went to the local Harley shop and explained my ideal sound.

I like the fact I can talk to my gf when she is on the back with the stock muffs, however I want a little more rumble. The guy at the counter said to stay away from the SE slip on’s being they really don’t add much sound. He rated stock mufflers as a 3 on a scale of 1-10, and the SE’s at a 4. With that said I am looking for something not to loud but louder than a 4 - He pointed me to the S&S slip on’s.

SE’s - $220 from HD shop
S&S - $320 from HD shop– but $275 online

I’m willing to spend more $ for the better overall sound/look but don’t want to just buy something more expensive being 1. He knows I just am now learning about Harley’s 2. I don’t want to feel like an idiot paying more for something that isn’t worth it and 3. I don’t want to have sucker tattooed on my head when I walk into that shop.

I research everything and anything about these so I know the basics, however I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks

ALSO if you know of a different better brand that you could recommend that would be great as well.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a serious look at the cycle shack slip ons. After reserching and asking here its what I went with. I got mine off ebay last year and about $150 I think. You can get several syles of ends also based on preference. They are prolly the best sound for the dollar. A nice deep rumble but not abnoxiously loud. They do wake right up when you get on it. I have had many compliments on the sound and my GF loves them. You can prolly find some to listen to on youtube to get an idea on them too.

Also do yourself a favor and get a couple gaskets for the exhaust where they go into the head. I found it easier to pull the pipes fully off to separate them. It was a simple choice to repalce the $2 gasket then have to remove everything due to an exhaust leak.

The bike was running a bit lean after I got them on with some decel popping. I rejetted and put the hurricane flow on at the same time and the bike runs and sounds GREAT.

Hope this helps.

MH

Old 03-19-2010, 10:48 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I would say 1-10 the stock 1200 sound is more like a 1.5 or 2 and SE slip on's are a 3.5 LOL! I have a set of SE slip on's and I ended up cutting the baffel inner ends off to make them sounds like a real slip on. I even ran them open, but that was too loud. Hell if you were local I would sell them to you cheap, but don't want to deal with shipping. I have heard a 883 converted to a 1200 with the V&H stright Shot slip on's and they were like a 6 og 10. I have Martin Bro's Two Down pipes and they are really not all that loud like you would think Rinehart make some nice sounding slip on and Rush slip on's sound real good and deep and are not priced that bad.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:09 PM
NIGHTSTER24
Novice

I have vance and hines straightshots and i love them plus if they are to load v&h makes a quite baffle you can install. I belive they are about &250.00 but not to sure.rinehart makes some very good slip ons but also cost alot of money.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

I paid $280 for my V&H Straight Shot slip-ons with the regular baffles. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being open pipes, these are a nine. You can see through them. I don't know what the quiet baffles sound like but you can wrap/cut/adjust any of the removable baffles.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:34 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my Rush with 2" baffles. They do sound good! never had any problem talking to anyone on the back.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:56 PM
red sr
Stage IV

After a few months of research I went with the Rhinehart slipons, and, I couldn't be happier. Got a hell of a deal off e-bay. 3 month old for ~225. This is the clip that sold me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pliKVyDBcx8

Old 03-19-2010, 04:09 PM
humpyy57
Tourer

Cycle Shack They sound great and when I put them on my gas mileage went up

Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 PM
btamburro
Advanced

Originally Posted by humpyy57
Cycle Shack They sound great and when I put them on my gas mileage went up
yup, I love my cycle shacks, but from what I can gather from the OP, he's looking for a mellow rumble. Cycle Shacks might be too loud. when I first got mine, I held them up to the light and could see right through them to the point where a thought, "wow these things don't even have baffles". Closer inspection revealed the perforated ring around the ID of the pipe, (which probably does nothing!) and the lollipop sticking up. Great slip-ons IMO, super great price, too.

Playashaft, V&H slip-ons with quiet baffles are probably what you are looking for.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:39 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I also have Cycle Shacks, and love them, but I think they will be louder the the OP is looking for.

Quick Reply: Slip on preference