Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:43 PM
oldschoolmedic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help

I ride a 2001 1200c. That is not why I need help, the fact I am mechanically un-inclined is why I need help.

I have a tank of new gas, the petcock is in the appropriate position, the bike starts and idles fine, it is sufficently warm, good oil at proper level, etc... The problem comes when I leave my driveway. On level ground the bike will roll along in first gear fine, but when I start uphill it will only go for a few seconds before it stalls. There is not even enough time to get into second gear. Rolling on the throttle accomplishes nothing. The bike will start right back up, but will not go uphill. Unfortunately, I live in a valley so it's uphill either way I turn.

Someone previously mentioned SeaFoam additive. Does this sound like a carb jet problem? Is this something I can fix myself or am I destined to make a mechanic rich?

Old 03-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Somber Goat
Tourer

Not sure if its the same issue but I was having a very similar problem right before winter. I was actually able to get going for a while and then she would just die on me(once on the highway exit ramp-up hill and numerous times at green lights)

I was in need of a service anyways so I brought it in and the mechanic said my jets were clogged. Haven't put but 150 miles on it since the service but haven't had the problem since then either.

Your on a 2001 so your carbed like me, no EFI unless you've modified it. My 2 cents, get your jets and carb cleaned(doesn't hurt to do it anyways). Others on here can give you better advice on doing it yourself if you choose that route but me, i'm in the mechanically un-inclined and time sensitive group and so had it done at my last service.

If that does the trick only other advice I would give is when your done riding for the day or at least when the option is available leave your bike running and cut off the fuel and let it run out of gas. This will make sure the jets don't gum up as much depending on how often you ride.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Brockmeister
Cruiser

Cleaning out the jets on your carb should't cost you an arm & a leg. I hava an '05 carb sporty and I left it sitting in the shed for 4 months with the same gas I parked it with. I fired it up on saturday and it started right up. It always takes a little while to warm up though. While they're cleaning the jets, you might get them to to put larger jets in for more performance.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:27 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Seafoam!!! Get it at any automotive parts store. Follow the directions. You'll most likely be happy

Old 03-08-2010, 09:47 PM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sea foam is pretty amazing stuff, give it a try. If it doesn't help, then you'll probly need a carb cleaning. It could be dirty jets, or the float level may be off. The stock keihin carbs are pretty easy to clean in my opinion, and most do it yourselfers can handle it, but if your nervous about it, just take it to a shop.

By the way, is this just a new problem that started happening, or have you always had the problem on inclines???

Old 03-09-2010, 05:39 AM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy fix if you ask me. Just drop your float bowl and spray some carb cleaner in there. Use a lot it should help. Do not add bigger jets unless you know how to tune. The only thing that will get you is bad mileage and fouled plugs.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Somber Goat
Tourer

Just curious if oldschoolmedic got the issue resolved. My issue actually came back so the whole clean the carb scenario and run the tank with Seafoam may have been beneficial it didn't fix my problem.

Had to replace the Crank Position Sensor and now she idles and runs like she's suppose to.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default hi there

I remembered reading this and looked it up,just a thought.

'Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has learned all 1999 and certain 2000 model year FLT family motorcycles were built with a bank angle sensor system that could malfunction. In addition all 1999 and certain 2000 MY FLT family motorcycles with carburetors were built with a fuel tank vent system that could malfuction. Either of these conditions could cause the engine to stall/quit when riding."

I certainlly hope your problem is a simpler one to fix ,good luck.

Last edited by Steeler; 05-27-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know where some people get their ideas from...

A clogged jet will clog and stay clogged, it wont clog because of a slight tilt.

The float in the carb could be screwed up giving a low level of fuel in the carb, its a long shot, as any sort of tilt, acceleration or braking would cause a problem, but its easy to clean out and check a carb.

A blocked gas tank vent, petcock, fuel filter (if any) would cause problems all the time, and more problems with higher fuel use rates.

The tilt sensor is possible depending if you have one and what it does.

I myself would just start with easy stuff like checking the fuel flow out the petcock and cleaning and checking the carb, letting the bike idle and tilting it over, etc....

Brett