Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to HD

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010 | 11:57 AM
jasony0423
|
Cruiser
Default New to HD

Getting a new bike in the next month or two, and I think I've decided on a Sportster. Not because it my dream, but because I don't think I want another sport bike (Had one years ago, nothing since then) and because it's in the budget if I get one a few years old. I don't want a bike payment, so that's the biggest part of it.
Looking forward to learning plenty from here.
Is the HD Riders Edge program a good class, or should I just take another MSF class like I did ten years ago with my first bike?

Old 03-08-2010 | 12:04 PM
casteel
Cruiser

welcome...i just recently joined also and it has been great thus far. i too decided on getting a Sportster, i found a 2007 with just over 3k miles on it and already some nice mods for a very decent price. hopefully i will be getting mine soon.

-John

Old 03-08-2010 | 12:14 PM
blacknight85
Cruiser

Welcome to the forum...I joined a few months ago and the guys on here are great and have good advice. As far as the class..I know that the dealership here in Houston says if you take the HD Riders Edge they refund you EVERYTHING you paid if you buy a bike from them. Anyway happy hunting and I'm sure you'll find a good deal on a used sportster with low miles especialy since they have been giving people the full MSRP on their sportster if they trade up.

Old 03-08-2010 | 12:17 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by blacknight85
I know that the dealership here in Houston says if you take the HD Riders Edge they refund you EVERYTHING you paid if you buy a bike from them.
I took an independant MSF course. A few weeks later I bought 2 used Sportsters. Harley sent my wife and I each a check for the full amount of the MSF course we took before ever buying a Harley. The dealership just wants credit for something HD does anyhow.

Old 03-08-2010 | 12:23 PM
jasony0423
|
Cruiser

Good knowledge to have.

Old 03-08-2010 | 12:28 PM
blacknight85
Cruiser

Originally Posted by brenn
I took an independant MSF course. A few weeks later I bought 2 used Sportsters. Harley sent my wife and I each a check for the full amount of the MSF course we took before ever buying a Harley. The dealership just wants credit for something HD does anyhow.

Thats good to know I guess thats why they are called the stealership.

Old 03-08-2010 | 12:34 PM
Krakanator
Tourer

The OP asked if the HD course was needed IN ADDITION to an MSF course he has alteady taken. My opinion is that it is probably nearly similar to what you already took. I sure as hell would not spent the 300-odd dollars that HD charges if I had already taken one.

my $0.02

Old 03-08-2010 | 08:27 PM
Archilochus
Cruiser

Originally Posted by brenn
Very interesting information. What did you have to do to get HD to send you that check?

Old 03-08-2010 | 09:29 PM
sajackson
Road Master

Welcome to the forums.

I don't really have any info on the classes, just wanted to welcome the new riders.

Old 03-08-2010 | 09:41 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

my wife took motorcycle safety class twice and insists that it was worth it... if you havent riden in awhile it prob is a good idea.
good to have a refresher from time to time. good stuff in that class. riding behind her a few weeks ago i got to watch a manuveur that she learned when the car in front of her slammed on its brakes cause someone had stepped into the street. she did the emergency swirve/ stop that they teach, and she avoided the rear of that car. the class was paid for by that one miss!

Quick Reply: New to HD