Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Cam selection

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:31 PM
veritas_man
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightster Cam selection

I have been looking in here but have not found a thread that addressed this question in full. What, if anything, has anyone found out about the best cam for a mostly stock nightster. When I say mostly stock I mean the basics, Intake, exhaust, and ECM upgrade. Is Andrews or SE the best route, or is there another company that is better? What is the max. lift/ dur. for stock heads and pistons? Is a higher RPM range okay for a street bike? I know there is a bunch of different opinions out there and a bunch f so called experts. I want to here what you think. I have been asked by guys I know and can't give them a clear answer. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:16 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Cams are a waste of money Unless you have head work done.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:31 AM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Cams are a waste of money Unless you have head work done.
I must agree. The stock cams are a perfect match to the stock heads, and I would venture to say that they are almost a perfect match for a street driven bike. A bigger cam will give you a bit more power, but will quickly max out how much the stock head can flow. Porting the heads and putting in larger valves should be the first line of attack for anyone looking for more after the Stage 1.

After the port job is taken care of the screamin ealge cams are pretty darn good. Check out NRHS for some more info. They have some good articles about what cams they think are the best bang for your buck and still give good streetable power curves.

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/

Old 03-04-2010, 02:40 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What they said, you have a perfectly good set of cams now.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:31 PM
veritas_man
Intermediate

So has anyone acctually done a cam swap? Or am I just getting second hand opinions from people that parrot everything they hear? I've read a lot on this subject and would like to hear first hand knowledge.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:45 PM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by veritas_man
So has anyone acctually done a cam swap? Or am I just getting second hand opinions from people that parrot everything they hear? I've read a lot on this subject and would like to hear first hand knowledge.
Can you read? Read xFreebirdx's signature at the end of his post. He has one of the hottest motors on the forum. You can also email or call the company that I posted a link to if you want "first hand" knowledge from people that make a living off sportster performance.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:45 PM
veritas_man
Intermediate

Great eye. It helps if someone states that they have done the work themselves or if they paid someone to do it. Just because someone has a badass motor doesnt mean you know anything about the subject. A well worded and detailed conversation would be more helpful then "look, someone has more work than me. they must be a harley god!". Don't trust anything at face value. Also I have called a couple companies and local speed shops and got different answers. Hince the reason I would like to speak to someone that has done the work themselves. Is anyone there that has or do I have to talk with people that like to pretend to know it all?