Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride at night - clears the brain

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006 | 10:02 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Ride at night - clears the brain

ORIGINAL: Trash Rat

I have to agree with oldfenderguy. I live in SE Nebraska. Lots & lots of whitetail deer, raccoons, & coyotes out at night around here. Your so busy watching for the night critters, it's hard to relax enough to enjoy your ride.
Few weeks ago a friend of mine was almost wiped out by a 'Kamakaze Owl'..

Swooped down on him while he was traveling at a pretty good rate of speed, and it was a close enough 'near miss' that it put a large cut on the side of his face.

A number of the Kamakaze Owl's have gone through car and truck windows at night around this area.

If it's not one thing it's something else.

Old 07-28-2006 | 11:27 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Few weeks ago a friend of mine was almost wiped out by a 'Kamakaze Owl'..
Well, we do have an owl living in the trees of our neighborhood, but here in a Plano urban community, the most I think I have to worry about in terms of wildlife is a stray rabbit (and we're talking the very small variety). Other than that, most of the streets are lit, so in terms of visibility and wildlife it's fairly safe to ride here at night. Still gotta worry about the drunks and idiots, but toward that end I try to avoid the night ride on Friday and Saturday nights. That's not to say there aren't a few drunks during the week, but at least there should be less of them.

Old 07-28-2006 | 11:44 PM
83ironhead
Cruiser

do it all the time. its good for the soul if you havent sold it yet!

Old 07-28-2006 | 11:49 PM
ionate
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: sgreen0313

As a yungun I used to go for a few hours every night after my gf went to bed. I havne't done it since then, but I can remember the cool air and some of the nice lake views to this day. In fact, since this week has been such a b*%*ch at work, I think I'll just go and relive some old memories in the night air tonight!
Awesome! Glad to see that post was so inspirational. I'm ready to head out later tonight as well. I took off the 2-up seat and I'm ready to rock-n-roll!

Old 07-28-2006 | 11:52 PM
ionate
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: JR Bean

I can not believe how a ride cleans the mind out. The warm and cool air is such a great feeling and the different smells. I think I just might go out tonight.
Ha! Love it! I think I'll do the same 2nite around 11pm.

Old 07-29-2006 | 02:07 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

I also make a habit of late night riding. Not so sure how that's gonna go over in the neighborhood, since I replace the stock mufflers with some Cycle Shack slip ons. (They are a bit louder than I planned) But I usually keep my late night rides to the main roads here in Nashville. I live on the outer east side of town. LOTS of deer close by...I've even had them in my driveway. So the really nice back roads that are just a mile or so away from my house.....I consider off limits late at night. Especially after the night I glaced over and saw a freekin heard of deer running along side of me at about 40 mph. YIKES!!!!!!!!

Old 07-29-2006 | 07:37 AM
marcus84
Road Captain

Couldn't sleep so I just did a 40 mile ride, my longest so far. My butt hurts but it was worth it!

Old 07-29-2006 | 09:38 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member

Night rides are cool... but about the only thing you can see is the head light shinning on the road...

I do however, once-in-a-while take the 30 mile trip to the coast and take in the Gulf breeze as I ride.... pretty nice....

That turns into a 2 o 3 hour ride though...

Charlie D.

Old 07-29-2006 | 12:43 PM
boom215
Road Captain

just the other night i had alot on my mind and was laying in bed for about an hour when i had enough. i got up got dressed and went for a ride at 2am. was the best ride i had in a few weeks. NOONE was on the road, and they just repaved a bunch of streets around me so i checked those out. nice ride that lasted about 45mins. got home and passed right out. that bike saves me money on my medical bills.

Old 07-29-2006 | 02:33 PM
Angry_Inch
Road Master

Riding at night as awesome. I take 'stress rides' (as the guys at work call them) during the day to hit my reset button. I find myself taking them more often, and they seem to get longer each time.

At least when I can get away with it!

Quick Reply: Ride at night - clears the brain