Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:28 AM
30jim
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachable Saddlebags?

I just bought some harley rigid saddlebags for my 1200 custom. Does anyone have the detachable kit installed, and how do you like it. I already purchased it, its on back order so I have not been able to really check it out yet. Just curious if it was worth the couple extra dollars and if you actually take them off any more.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Detachable Saddlebags?

I have a pair of Willie and Max bags mounted on Easy Brackets for easy on, easy off. I got the Easy Brackets because I thought I would be taking them on and off alot but I now find that they're so handy to have, I keep them on all the time! $145.00 down the drain for the Easy Brackets..., oh, well....

Thumper26

Old 07-28-2006, 08:45 PM
JR Bean
Intermediate

Jim,
I purchased the bags from HD (model #90342-04) for my 04 roadster. Was not able to use the easy brackets because the back of the bags are formed to go around the shock. They are a pain if you would want to take them on and off. You have to take out the top shock bolt and 1 other bolt on the bike but 4 bolts on the bags. Dont get me wrong I like the bags for the extra room but if you would like a different look on the bike you have some work ahead of you. Its not a 2 second job. This is just my 2 cents. If I knew then what I knew now I would have thought about it a little harder. I am looking in to the barebacks for the quick release but will have to do some cutting and welding. That looks like a winter job. But will let you know how it comes out.

Roy

Old 07-30-2006, 03:00 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Thumper26

I have a pair of Willie and Max bags mounted on Easy Brackets for easy on, easy off.
Which Willie and Max bags do you have? I've been looking at various saddle bags and have read about people recommending the Wille and Max bags a lot. I basically want to go with the bags and Easy Brackets system since, handy or not, I feel like I'd like to remove them when I'm just going out for a leisure ride around my house. However, looking at the throw over design of all the Willie and Max bags, I've wondered if they look a bit odd with the end of a zipper (since that appears to be how they attach to the throw over belt) on top. Does that hide away well so that the bags look clean with the Easy Brackets on them?

I think saddlebags are going to be the most difficult decision I have to make regarding accessories for my motorcycle.

I was glad to run across the info about the Easy Brackets and Ghost Brackets systems since I didn't want to have to put on the bag rails. Oh, the one other question would be how easy it is to lock up the Willie and Max bags. Ideally I think I'd like to keep a tool kit, tire patch kit, and whatnot in there and I'm always paranoid about people with light fingers. Obviously no lock would really keep out someone that really wants to rip you off, but just something to keep out the casual "convenience" theft is nice.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:32 AM
saycheessee
6th Gear

Ok.... I'm new to this part... I also have bags on the back of my H-D and would like to know what the Easy Brackets are? My husband says that there is like 3 bolts to take off to get mine off that he can see. I have bags on mine that came from H-D but are WAYYYY too big for my bike and I want a regular set of bags that fit a sportster on it. Any suggestions on how to tell if they have Easy Brackets or not?
Name:  34739623B97Ffp3443Enu3D32863E3A853E.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  41.2 KB

Old 07-30-2006, 02:33 PM
streetshooter
Intermediate

I have pair of Tour Master bags and brackets installed on the bike...the cool thing is that the bags have a zipper to attach to the harness....so all I have to do is unzip each bag, zip them together and I have almost a suitcase....very easy on and off....bags were $150.00 at www.samsmotorcycles.com

Old 08-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have EZ brackets mounted to HD throwover bags. The good news... I could mount the bags further back (signal relocated) and they are so simple to take on and off. Key in lock, quarter turn and off/ on. The bad news... I have a detachable sissy bar and combined with the EZ brackets the bags are far away from the bike (looks the worst from rear) Check Ghost Brackets as they may not stick out as far. For on/off use they are the *****.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:28 AM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

30jim, I'm looking at putting some of the HD rigid saddlebags on mine also - I was wondering how well the detachable brackets work also. Also, as I understand it, rear turn signal relocation is pretty much a necessity on most bags - are you doing that with these? If you know the HD product number can you post it here and let us know your feedback on the bags?

Also, have you seen the Harley Davidson Customizer feature on the HD website that let's you view how various parts will look on your bike:

HD Customizer

William