Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fender chop question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:52 PM
dubll_r
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too thought of chopping my rear on my 09iron.Texasbikeboy you said you used a dremel?I have a dremel too but it doesnt seem like it would be the the right tool for the job(powerful)What blades did you use and did you chop it while tire was still on?

Old 02-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Tike71
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure how powerful a dremel is but it took me like 2 minutes to cut my fender with a 4" angle grinder.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 AM
TexasBikeBoy
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

where would be a good place to find one of these modules? is there a web address for a vendor? thanks, gtg
You can find the module at your local harley dealership. Only place I know to find it. You will need to go in and talk to the parts guys let them know what you are looking for an year of your bike ect.

I too thought of chopping my rear on my 09iron.Texasbikeboy you said you used a dremel?I have a dremel too but it doesnt seem like it would be the the right tool for the job(powerful)What blades did you use and did you chop it while tire was still on?
I used a dremel with some metal cutting blades that came with the dremel. I must say I think a 4" grinder would have been a bit faster but I had a dremel and did not have a grinder so this is what I used. You can get a bit more of a curve and angles to your cuts with the dremel but it also takes a bit longer to cut a whole fender. Just gotta be patient. I had the fender off the bike already. Actually I bought this fender off of ebay for about 30 or 40 dollars and it was painted already. Not much to taking the fender off to cut it though. Depending on how you plan to cut it I think it would be possible to do while it is on the bike if you are careful.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Good Time Gang
Tourer

Thanks, I will call the local Stealer at lunch. I yanked the fender off the bike and used a dremel. it was not hard, just took a while. i really wanted to get rid of the damaged part off the very back of the fender. we will see if this was a good idea or not. i will post picks as soon as i have the majority of it done. i have a spare fender just incase this goes wrong. i would not suggest doing anything like this without a back up plan.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 AM
dirty keith
Intermediate

I used a model a tail light on mine with a vertical plate / light mount bracket. I bought everything from Ebay for like $40 shipped. FYI if you go this route model a lights have
6V bulbs you need to switch to 12V.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Good Time Gang
Tourer

dirty, i am not quite sure i follow you.
stopped by the local shop today and after failing to find a module that will work with a '94, it was suggested that i go to an area farm/hardware store and pick up a tail light for a truck or trailer. this way i could fabricate a mount and save several dollars, while making something original and cool. but now that dirty has mentioned it, will there be a volt problem? has anyone tried this? any cool pics?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:28 PM
TexasBikeBoy
Cruiser

Read of someone doing that as well but can't remember where I seen it. If you can get it to work that way then that will be kickazz and save you some money. If not might be possible to buy the module for an 2003 model or whatever the closest year you can get and cut and splice it in to your harness? Not sure what the difference is between the 94's and 2003 but I don't think harley has changed much as far as their electrical system goes. Don't hold me to that because I am not positive but it may be possible. If you get the trailer hitch to work take some step by step pics and post em. Could help out a lot of people I'm sure.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 PM
TexasBikeBoy
Cruiser

Did some searching for whatever post I had seen with the wiring using trailer hitch but couldn't find it. I came across it one day when I wasn't looking for it but now that I am cannot find it anywhere.

Last edited by TexasBikeBoy; 02-24-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 PM
dirty keith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Good Time Gang
dirty, i am not quite sure i follow you.
stopped by the local shop today and after failing to find a module that will work with a '94, it was suggested that i go to an area farm/hardware store and pick up a tail light for a truck or trailer. this way i could fabricate a mount and save several dollars, while making something original and cool. but now that dirty has mentioned it, will there be a volt problem? has anyone tried this? any cool pics?
I was trying to explane that the tail light that I bought was ment for a 1929 Ford Model A which used a 6 volt electrical system. When I wired every thing up I blew both the bulbs in the light. All I had to do was match up a 12 volt bulb to replace the old 6 volt and I was good to go. Anything from the 1950s or newer should be 12 volt, you should be able wire this up with no issues. (trailers use a 12 volt system those lights will work fine)

Last edited by dirty keith; 02-24-2010 at 09:17 PM.