Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster/Iron pics of altered stock lights (The Reason)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:16 AM
Slackster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Nightster/Iron pics of altered stock lights (The Reason)

This is in response to a previous thread where I thought this
new one will be more helpful to thoes in the future who do
figure out how to use the search.

Well we raise our headlights because it's freakin cool. we remove the visors from the headlights and mount them upsidedown because we're rebels. We don't want our bikes to look like every other of it's kind.
We want our own personal signiture appeal. Raising the the light upside down without the visor is soooooo old school. Which by the way is very cool because I think that's the main reason why most of us that bought a late model sporty went for the Nightster or the Iron, and soon enough the Fu#kin wicked 48. (by the way harley davidson aint stupid, they're paying attention to what we're doing to our bikes and putting it into something new) I mean people been doing these bobber mods for decades, but the trend has revolved around again in full swing.

Anyways the pictures say it all. how can you think this is not cool... check this out. I'd actually like to see more people do this.

Full credit goes out to Motodrum (Nightster) and Joebotics (Iron) for being the first to go public with their headlight mods on this forum. the following pics are all either nightsters or irons, and all in which used the stock headlight which is my point. Remove visor and mount upsidedown. Have a nice day. my appologies for all other missed pics.

relocating the speedo, remounting the headlight, coil relocation, and tank lift. These are all easy mods for your wallet. The greatest task is just taking a moment to focus by starring at a strip of metal for a couple beers worth of time and figuring out how you plan to alter it. I hope you own a vise, 4" grinder, table grinder/wire wheel and patience

Old 02-21-2010, 05:00 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yep

Thats the way i like it.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Slackster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff Steeler...I'm glad you added yours on because yours still has the stock speedo set up.

This is cool because i'm noticing that the headlight takes a lot of focus off of the speedo. Usually I grind my teeth over the speedo sticking out but this is actually pretty good.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:11 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

"how can you think this is not cool... check this out."

Because not everyone's idea of "cool" is the same as yours. That's the great thing about this sport, everyone can express themselves. It's tough to be unique, when everyone's bike looks the same. A "rebel" is someone who goes against the norm. But if the norm is that Nightster owners jack their headlights up, remove visors, put on drag bars, and flip their mirrors, then being a "rebel" would mean not doing that. Personally, to each his own. If you think it's cool, do it, and don't give a rat's **** what anyone else thinks.

Last edited by veritas.archangel; 02-21-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:16 AM
michaelmartin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Workin' on a headlight bracket mod right now. Only took a break to check out this thread again.

Back to the grind.

Literally.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:22 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe a real "Nightster rebel" would put on a batwing fairing and hardbags. Or just leave it stock. Now that would be rebellious. Just saying...

Old 02-21-2010, 06:01 PM
michaelmartin
Road Captain
Default Finished up my headlight lift today.

Finished up my headlight lift today.

Let's start with some metal.

\m/ \m/

1/4" steel I bought at Lowe's...

And then I made a template...

A few saw blades sacrificed...

LOTS of finesse on a bench grinder and some drill press work...

Then, I took a stroll down a few houses to a neighbor that restores Austin/MG's to see if he's got a blowtorch that gets hot enough to bend the steel. I had a basic torch that has propane, not even close. We hit it with two Mapp gas torches at the same time and with some muscle, put the bend I needed in. Then took an angle grinder and cut off the excess metal I used for leverage. And then get THIS...

He asks me if I want to sandblast and powdercoat it.
RIGHT NOW.

He has his own blaster and powder set-up. How much did I step in **** when I went over this guy's house? Awesome.

So a little blast and bake, and voila...

Then I just used the turn signal relocation kit from D2Moto to mount it to the forks.

I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited by michaelmartin; 02-21-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-21-2010, 06:12 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
Maybe a real "Nightster rebel" would put on a batwing fairing and hardbags. Or just leave it stock. Now that would be rebellious. Just saying...
Or just buy a bunch of Willie G. Skull stuff. Nothing says "I'm a rebel" like skulls all over your bike.

Just saying...

Old 02-21-2010, 06:13 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmartin
Workin' on a headlight bracket mod right now. Only took a break to check out this thread again.

Back to the grind.

Literally.
Lookin' good man! Nothing like MAKING your own stuff.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:15 PM
michaelmartin
Road Captain

Oh yeah, I forgot.

I had to splice some additional wire on to the original wiring so it would be long enough.

Of course, friendly neighbor had the excess wire, crimps and crimping tool I needed.

Quick Reply: Nightster/Iron pics of altered stock lights (The Reason)