Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reason why some people raise their headlight? Is there a kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:50 PM
worthymccormick
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any reason why some people raise their headlight? Is there a kit?

I think tank risers with flipped mirrors look really good and tend to not make the speedo look like it is popping off the front of the bike. Any opinions or pictures?

Old 02-21-2010, 12:34 AM
Slackster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey....what gives? I've been misled. It's like your title says one thing, than the actual post says another.

Well we raise our headlights because it's freakin cool. we remove the visors from the headlights and mount them upsidedown because we're rebels. We don't want our bikes to look like every other of it's kind.
We want our own personal signiture appeal. Raising the the light upside down without the visor is soooooo old school. Which by the way is very cool because I think that's the main reason why most of us that bought a late model sporty went for the Nightster or the Iron, and soon enough the Fu#kin wicked 48. (by the way harley davidson aint stupid, they're paying attention to what we're doing to our bikes and putting it into something new) I mean people been doing these bobber mods for decades, but the trend has revolved around again in full swing.

Anyways the pictures say it all. how can you think this is not cool... check this out. I'd actually like to see more people do this.

Full credit goes out to Motodrum (Nightster) and Joebotics (Iron) for being the first to go public with their headlight mods on this forum. the following pics are all either nightsters or irons, and all in which used the stock headlight which is my point. Remove visor and mount upsidedown. Have a nice day. my appologies for all other missed pics.

pic below is property of Motodrum

pic below is property of joebotics

relocating the speedo, remounting the headlight, coil relocation, and tank lift. These are all easy mods for your wallet. The greatest task is just taking a moment to focus by starring at a strip of metal for a couple beers worth of time and figuring out how you plan to alter it. I hope you own a vise, 4" grinder, table grinder/wire wheel and patience

Last edited by Slackster; 02-21-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:08 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Why?

Well firstlly it looks cool,i did this with bikes 30 years ago and i'm still partial to raised headlights.There is another reason.as you come up behind a veicle the raised beam shines straight into theire rearview mirror,making you more vizable and secondlly they move over to let you pass.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:58 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically just for the "retro" look...

Old 02-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default D.i.y

Its not that difficult to do it yourself ,make a bracket turn the headlight and lenthen the electrics.If you want, i can send you the detailed version i've shared with a couple of folks on this site.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:42 PM
883Persian
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Steeler
Its not that difficult to do it yourself ,make a bracket turn the headlight and lenthen the electrics.If you want, i can send you the detailed version i've shared with a couple of folks on this site.

that would b awesome bro ...

Old 02-23-2010, 12:17 AM
blackyck
Tourer

cause the visor is for motorcross bikes!

Old 02-23-2010, 05:14 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's another monkey see monkey do thing, if you don't have a springer front end it looks ridicules.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:03 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
It's another monkey see monkey do thing, if you don't have a springer front end it looks ridicules.
In your opinion...

Old 02-23-2010, 06:04 PM
stng_96
Road Master

Originally Posted by jag1886
wooo now, I think it looks pretty sick on the dark bikes, spring front end or not

Quick Reply: Any reason why some people raise their headlight? Is there a kit?