Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FREEKIN battery cover !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:33 PM
JR Bean
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FREEKIN battery cover !!!

I had the same problem last night. Not once but twice. Was lucky though my leg held it in somewhat of place. I am going to zip ties to fix that problem. Its worth it then worrying about losing it on the road going 50 mph. :ast night was the first time it happened to me. I am thinking the shocks are to stiff. I just replaced them with progressive 440. I really like the ride with them.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:48 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have the same problem. '06 883. OEM was the grey clips...they suck too....cable ties are the best answer...just be sure to always carray a sharp knife with you in case you need to the the MF off. But if the cover fell completely off, and was damaged as a result, Id make the dealer pay for the damage...To me, that's a warranty issue.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:07 AM
needaz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: XL OCD

The battery cover on the rubber mounts is a known problem. There was a recall or TSB on it, and Harley redesigned the clips. The new clips are gray instead of black and are supposed to be more secure. Unfortunately, the gray one's suck as well. Mine came off even with the new clips. HD apparantly didn't have any bolts laying around the company to properly secure the cover.
I removed my front clip and secure the cover with a zip tie. I keep a couple of extra ties inside the cover in case I need to access the battery for some roadside service.
In case I forgot, the clips suck. That's my only complaint with this bike, so overall no big deal.
This is how mine is on. One zip tie on the front and no clip there.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:28 PM
jdd5325
Stage IV

I've had this problem for a while. Even with all the solutions posted. I went on ebay and found someone selling a bunch of covers cheap and got 3 replacements for 40 bucks, so when it falls off again I won't fell as pissed.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:29 PM
jdd5325
Stage IV

I've had this problem for a while. Even with all the solutions posted. I went on ebay and found someone selling a bunch of covers cheap and got 3 replacements for 40 bucks, so when it falls off again I won't fell as pissed.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:37 PM
ronn39
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jdd5325

I knew that was you, jdd5325. You passed me going the other way the other day and one of those damn things flew off and hit me right square 'tween the eyes. My lawyer says sue and we can make a million bucks. I don't know; can't decide -- I ain't been right ever since.

Seriously, have an '04 with the chrome covers and never had that problem (thankfully!!),

Old 12-15-2006, 03:58 PM
dsuppa
Road Captain

I had the same problem a few months back on my 05 833L. So I went to my HD dealer where I bought the bike and they warranty the part and I didn't even have the cover it was somewhere on the highway.

If you still have the warranty go to your harley dealer and insist they replace the cover and your defective clips. It worked for me.

Good Luck!

Old 12-15-2006, 10:55 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 272 Likes on 168 Posts

Me too what SportyPig said.

Mine was falling off from day 3 of ownership. Harley actually doesnt cover those clips. Wear and tear ... yeah right .. just another addition to the(my) pissed off factor ...

Anyway, wire wraps and carry snips.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:50 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Y'alls fatasses must be the problem Never had a problem like this with my 05.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:36 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had that problem. I have hit bumps soo hard that I have seen the Harley Davidson inscription on the front tires, but never had any part pop off.

Quick Reply: FREEKIN battery cover !!!