Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mayday! Pain while riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Sularus1178
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mayday! Pain while riding

I'm the owner of a great Sportster 1200 Custom I bought in OCT 2008. I've recently come into some pain while riding and I need some advice on the matter. I'm '6 tall and I find myself having to hunch and flex my shoulders in order to reach the handlebars. This is causing me some extreme shoulder and neck pain while riding. I've spoken to some of the local parts guys at the dealers and (after they laugh at me for riding a Sportster) insist that it will cost upwards of $400-500 to change out bars and cables, adjust mounts, and add risers as well as re-wire a bunch of stuff. I know there has to be another way. I can turn a wrench and have changed out my exhaust as well as added numerous other additions to the bike, I just don't know where I need to start. Are there any suggestions out there? Serious insight only, please... I'm really taking all of this into consideration. Thanks in advance for the help.

SSG Marc Vasquez
United States Army Infantry
C Co., 1/27 INF

Old 02-12-2010, 01:34 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Need more info please.

Is your Harley a stock Sportster Custom or does it have (or have you made) any changes to the stock riding position? (Seat, handlebars, foot controls and their position)

Are you new to riding motorcycles in general or are you just new to Harley Sportsters?

Does the pain that you are feeling only happen at highway speeds or all the time?

I ask about riding experience because some people grip their handlebars much too tightly, especially on the highway, and this can lead to pain in the neck and back and shoulders and arms and hands. With a stock Sportster Custom, you normally have forward controls and with your feet and legs in front of you and having to stretch forward and reach for the handlebars, this can put a strain on some peoples back and shoulders and neck too! If you are used to an aggressive riding style (rear set foot controls and shorter handlebars) and you are now using forward controls in a more upright position, you might be experiencing pain because of this change in your riding position.

The amount of money that you are talking about $400 to $500 is mostly made up of LABOR rates I imagine. You can find the parts that you need to change out your handlebars at motorcycle swap meets, and on EBAY, and here on the HDForums as well. You might try riding a different Harley Sportster model at your local dealer to see if that change in riding position still causes you some pain. If you have pain on a variety of different riding positions, you might think about going to see a doctor about your pain. Good luck with your search for new handlebars. I hope that you find something that helps you enjoy your Sportster and ride safe out there!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:03 AM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to say that if it is pain in the neck you are having, it is probably caused from wind strain. The strain in your neck is caused by the gusts of wind that turn you into a bobble head. I'm sure that the hunching over doesn't help the matter either, because it causes your neck to be a little more tweaked than normal. I would say get a windshield and you will notice the biggest difference. Especially at highway speeds. Make sure it is the right height to send the air over the top of your head though. (Noise height)

Old 02-12-2010, 08:06 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Higher bars would help you greatly. Tall t bars or some sort of apes.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:49 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

You can put 4" risers on that go 2" up and 2" back.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
ontcanuck
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

had the same problem on my 04 custom,changed the seat(sundowner) and windshield problem solved.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:45 PM
rnl_1200C
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

I had the exact same problem. I changed the stock bars to the 1200 Low bars, and made a major difference. The cost was about $400.
Added a Sundowner seat and windshield - problem completely solved.
By the way - I am 6' 3"

take a look at the pic of my bike below.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:29 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advil works for me. just sayin...

Old 02-13-2010, 04:07 PM
congo_usmc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

throw some apes on there if you can solder it shouldnt be to dificult. you'll just have to extend some of the wires. and depending on how high you go you will probably have to buy new cables

Old 02-14-2010, 05:11 AM
mballard
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

don't wait man,,,, whatever the fix - do it now before the pain becomes CHRINIC...the "body" is trying to tell you something........

Quick Reply: Mayday! Pain while riding