Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dissapointed with my short shots

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:14 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do like the looks of the Short Shots, but I agree that the thiner non muffers style pips tend to sounds tinny. I do like the sound of the pythons alot.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Healey2Harley
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with PIB. Another plus is that the heels of my wife's boots dont melt on the pipe.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:37 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoilSport
I would not buy them again. I do not dislike the sound so much as the exhaust build up/dis-colorization on the chrome parts on the rear ... more maintenance.
there have been other people in here say the same thing about those pipes. Does make sense

Old 02-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain

I've been thinking hard about a set of Pythons. Im glad to hear the votes of confidence.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:42 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luckily my bike CAME with the SS's already installed so ignorance is bliss as far as the sound and performance difference is concerned. I like the look of the SS's and the performance and sound is 'stock' to me.

One day i want to get my bike dyno'd, then switch to stock pipes with slip-ons or perhaps a 2to1 like the Thunderheader.

When that time comes i'll have to research and compare the HP and TQ numbers between the two options and swap over and have my bike mapped to match the pipe i end up with.

Is there a definite exhaust that will give the best performance on a Fuel Injected 1200..? (especially the low-end)

Old 02-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain

Originally Posted by capitalist_slave
Luckily my bike CAME with the SS's already installed so ignorance is bliss as far as the sound and performance difference is concerned. I like the look of the SS's and the performance and sound is 'stock' to me.

One day i want to get my bike dyno'd, then switch to stock pipes with slip-ons or perhaps a 2to1 like the Thunderheader.

When that time comes i'll have to research and compare the HP and TQ numbers between the two options and swap over and have my bike mapped to match the pipe i end up with.

Is there a definite exhaust that will give the best performance on a Fuel Injected 1200..? (especially the low-end)
Ive heard good things about Thunderheaders. A lot of people swear by them. A guy I ride with, he's a big horsepower cat. He says D and D is the STUFF! D and D Boarzilla! I dont know anything about them. But he says Thunderheader is crap. So I dont know. You might check it out.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

A good quality 2 into 1 pipe will give you what your looking for.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:02 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Razorback Rob
Ive heard good things about Thunderheaders. A lot of people swear by them. A guy I ride with, he's a big horsepower cat. He says D and D is the STUFF! D and D Boarzilla! I dont know anything about them. But he says Thunderheader is crap. So I dont know. You might check it out.
Yeah, i'll have to do some research on my own as far as brand.
I was checking out the D&D site the other day.
That's what makes things difficult when selecting ANYTHING...
...everyone has an 'opinion' as far as brand ie. Ford v. Chevy, but truth is they both put out a good product.

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
A good quality 2 into 1 pipe will give you what your looking for.
Cool.
While i do like the look of the ShortShots and LongShots you can't see pretty pipes when you're sittin on the bike letting off the clutch...
...that is what i want to determine my exhaust choice.

Truth be told... i want to know this MOSTLY for my father. I don't have the $$$ for new pipes.
He's gonna get pipes (or maybe slip-ons) when he takes his 2010 Street Bob in for the 1k Service.
The stock exhaust LOOKS fine, but you can't hear the BT while driving at highway speed... gay...

Last edited by capitalist_slave; 02-09-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: ^><^
Old 02-09-2010, 03:16 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The stock exhaust LOOKS fine, but you can't hear the BT while driving at highway speed... gay...
You'd prob be better off just pitching the stock 10 and up exhausts because of the cat's in them