Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower neck pain w/ drag bars. Maybe apes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:09 AM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lower neck pain w/ drag bars. Maybe apes?

So on my longer rides with the drag bars and shorty risers I have been getting really bad pain in the back of my neck around my spine. I'm guessing its from the bending over to reach them and having to bend my neck back to hold my head straight. So I'm going to be looking for a new set up since everyone in my riding group likes to do 500 miles/day whenever we ride.

I am thinking about getting some apes because I have been reading some good things about them on long trips. Anyone have experience with both? I'm thinking about the Burly 14in narrow glide apes, because they have the nice cable kit that you can buy along with them. I'm 5'8" the last I checked. Anyone think the 14" might be too tall for me? Won't be able to sit on my bike and get a measurement for another 2 weeks, because I'm at school and its at home.

I am also thinking about going back to the mid controls to maybe aid in sitting up straighter.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:20 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

How long of rides are you talking about? I have been able to ride over an hour straight without any problems. Looking at the pic (if that's you), that's a pretty relaxed position. Most sportbikes have a much more pronounced reach with most of the body's weight on the wrists. Is that the stock seat? Cuz I know that the Nightster's seak is a plank.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:40 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i dunno man. lots of people say apes are more comfortable on long rides but i don't agree. maybe their idea of a long ride is not the same as mine.

anyway i had a rigid with apes... apes hindered blood flow to my hands. they'd fall asleep. then when i put my arms down they'd tingle like hell. dont go to high with bars is all i'm saying.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:15 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you should try going back to mids first. That may be enough.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,675 Likes on 1,268 Posts

I had the same problem with pain. On long rides 150 miles + . And I put bars on my bike from the V rod A model .It gave me 2" in pull back and a 2" rise . Like majic the pain was gone! Also these mite come in black .

Old 02-07-2010, 07:40 AM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm talking about all day rides. The first half of the day I am fine, but the last half of the day it kills me. I have been using the stock seat, but I just recently purchased a new HD low profile solo seat that is made for 04-06 models (doesn't cover half the rear fender) and I'm fabing up a way to make it fit. It is 14.5" wide with around 4 inches of padding it looks like. The only problem is this extra padding might sit me up even higher and thus making me bend over even more.

I will try bolting the mids back up, as that is free. Then I will go from there. I definitely want to get some measurements before I pull the trigger on anything, and I need to wait for that good ole' tax check to come in! Thanks for all the insight!

Old 02-07-2010, 07:43 AM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Long Ride 150 ? well then you would not ride with me. 150 thats just startin the ride.
if that is you in your post.i would bet that you need a windshield,that wind presure is hard on the neck man.
then your (group) of riders mostly the bigger bike?,**** man they will run you into the ground on that nighters
Just my .02

Last edited by RATROD HOG; 02-07-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:47 AM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior

Basic training here.
500 miles on a nighters going to hurt!
get rid of them bar hopper broomsticks!!
ever hear Cool ver Function

Old 02-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,675 Likes on 1,268 Posts

Originally Posted by RATROD HOG
Long Ride 150 ? well then you would not ride with me. 150 thats just startin the ride.
if that is you in your post.i would bet that you need a windshield,that wind presure is hard on the neck man.
then your (group) of riders mostly the bigger bike?,**** man they will run you into the ground on that nighters
Just my .02
Hay I live in new jersey with 7 million cars . If you go out for any ride it mite be to long in this state ! Also that's not me , I answered fox 4's post .

Old 02-07-2010, 08:16 AM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior

Quick Reply: Lower neck pain w/ drag bars. Maybe apes?