Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower neck pain w/ drag bars. Maybe apes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:41 AM
TBirdEd76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my mini-apes have helped make me more comfortable on my 883c. the forward controls are a must since i'm 6'

my only problem is that after a little bit on the highway, my neck starts to bother me. a windshield would help but i don't like how it would look with apes.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:58 AM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RATROD HOG
Long Ride 150 ? well then you would not ride with me. 150 thats just startin the ride.
if that is you in your post.i would bet that you need a windshield,that wind presure is hard on the neck man.
then your (group) of riders mostly the bigger bike?,**** man they will run you into the ground on that nighters
Just my .02
that's a good point about the wind. The apes would probably make the wind worse as we all know apes at freeway speed turn the rider into a human kite. I'm sure the handlebars don't exactly help me be anymore ergonomical though. I like the tombstone shield based on looks but it's probably not tall enough to direct wind over my head.

I ride with 2 ultras, a road king, and a road glide. And yes they push me to the limit and then some. They told me last year that I couldn't ride with them to sturgis, because I wouldn't be able to handle the 500-600 miles a day they were going to be doing. I was hoping to be able to make some changes and go this year. And it would be nice to have little or no pain whenever I ride too.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:08 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking at your avatar pic, you should be comfortable for all but the longest rides.

BUT..........if those rides tend to be at 65-70 MPH, then you are going to strain your hands and arms just hanging on and fighting the wind against your almost upright chest. Taller bars will only make that worse because they will place your chest more squarely to the wind and cause you to grip tighter still.

I'm a full fledged advocate of taller bars. I installed apes on all my scoots and the taller bars totally relieved the pain you described. But I don't dare ride for long at high speed without a windshield because of the extra force required to hang on against the wind.

You might want to first try a clip on shield.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:14 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by fox4
that's a good point about the wind. The apes would probably make the wind worse as we all know apes at freeway speed turn the rider into a human kite. I'm sure the handlebars don't exactly help me be anymore ergonomical though. I like the tombstone shield based on looks but it's probably not tall enough to direct wind over my head.

I ride with 2 ultras, a road king, and a road glide. And yes they push me to the limit and then some. They told me last year that I couldn't ride with them to sturgis, because I wouldn't be able to handle the 500-600 miles a day they were going to be doing. I was hoping to be able to make some changes and go this year. And it would be nice to have little or no pain whenever I ride too.
IMO, 500 or so miles per day is quite doable on a Sporty, but only if you understand the principal of "Function over Form", which the typical Nighty lacks. The only way to knock down 500+ highway miles per day on multiple days is to have the creature comforts, and the #1 item is a good windshield, followed by a comfy seat.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:19 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Taller bars that allow to you sit naturally upright will get rid of that pain in your shoulders and neck. It is the leaning over that causes that pain. Apes are the way to go.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:28 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
IMO, 500 or so miles per day is quite doable on a Sporty, but only if you understand the principal of "Function over Form", which the typical Nighty lacks. The only way to knock down 500+ highway miles per day on multiple days is to have the creature comforts, and the #1 item is a good windshield, followed by a comfy seat.
Yep....That's why I also have a big fat assed Road King with a windshield and loooong legs. I call her my Fat Babe. My Sportys are reserved for bar hopping and red light antics.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:20 PM
fox4
Road Master

I really never would have thought about the wind being the cause, but it definitely makes since that it would be part of the cause. I'm sure that I probably look like a bobble head at times and this is causing the muscles in the back of my neck to strain over time. So it looks like I need to pick up a shield for the long trips (I am going to go for function and not looks, because I don't want to waste money on something that won't solve the problem). A new pair of more ergonomic bars will probably get added to the list as well. Thanks again for all of the help!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:24 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

taller risers are a far easier fix

Old 02-07-2010, 02:34 PM
fox4
Road Master

Originally Posted by schumacher
taller risers are a far easier fix
Very good thinking. I might have to look into that. Maybe 4 or 5 inchers.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:37 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

mine are 6" to give ya some height perspective with drag bars

Quick Reply: Lower neck pain w/ drag bars. Maybe apes?