Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know this is a dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006 | 11:18 AM
dsuppa
|
Road Captain
Default I know this is a dumb question

I know its a dumb question but I need to ask before I just try it and find out what happens, how do you wash your bike, I just got an 883 (first bike) and I'm worried about how to keep it clean. I don't feel like it would be good to use car soap and just spray the bike with a hose, what if the engine gets soaked?

I know that usually in online forums when you post a "dumb question" like this you get flamed, but please go easy on me I dont know much about bikes except that I like them.

Old 07-24-2006 | 11:25 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: I know this is a dumb question

Don't feel dumb. I had the same question a few months ago. Got my bike on April fools day. I'm sure other will provide much better advice, but from my brief experience, use the Harley Sunglow wash, and just be careful to not get the electronics wet with the hose. Most of the really sensitive stuff is tucked safely under the seat and in places like that, so as long as you're careful, you should be fine. One tip for ya, if you happen to have a leaf blower, they are an excellent way to dry your bike.

Old 07-24-2006 | 11:54 AM
J_E_D
Cruiser

Maybe this is heresy on this board but I just use a bucket of water with a small squirt of dishsoap in it and work my way from the top to the bottom.
It doesn't make sense to wash the tank with the same rag I just washed the rims and tires with.

There's nothing wrong with taking perfect care of one's stuff but as nice as my bike is, it's just a bike.
I bought it to save me money and time and because it's a nice bike. It is by no means a collector's item or rare in any way.

After watching the show about how Harley developed the V-Rod and seeing the type of connectors used on my Sporty I'm not so sure that the old canard about pressure washing holds much water. I'm not saying to get on your kill switch full blast but a quick blasting off with low pressure on the controls seems harmless after 50+ hours of constant blasting from 30 high pressure outlets.
We'll find out next time I'm feeling too lazy to use my own water and driveway....

Old 07-24-2006 | 11:57 AM
J_E_D
Cruiser

I started calling my 06 Fire Red Pearl 883L a "piglet" before my race-bike riding coworkers got the chance. That's what everyone calls it and nobody seems to be mean spirited about it.

Old 07-24-2006 | 12:05 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member

use S100 Total clean, use soft was mit on stubborn dirt. High pressure hose or power washer to rinse off. start at top and work your way down. Use leaf blower or reverse shop vac to blow off moisture. finish up with a damp terry towel and Qwik Detailer. Bike was made to ride in the rain!

Old 07-24-2006 | 12:13 PM
dsuppa
|
Road Captain

Thanks for all the suggestions, I was ready to get flamed for asking a dumb question, I guess the H-D community is a lot nicer than most online communities.

Thanks Again!!

Old 07-24-2006 | 02:08 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

I'm one of the more reckless people on the forum. I go to the do-it-yourself car wash and wash down everything with the wand. I am careful not to use high pressure hear the hubs, instruments, etc. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've been doing that for years and have yet to ever have a problem.

I do sit and wait "a long time" for the engine to cool down before I expose it to the sudden temperature change.

Old 07-24-2006 | 07:11 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior

If it's really dirty, like after a big rain storm and dirt roads - then I'll use a soaking wet rag and wipe the tins constantly rinsing the soaking wet rag. And then I'll proceed as below.

If I'm just cleaning it up after a ride, then I'll use a spray detailer on the tins 1st. Then on to the chrome, then the rest. I'll ususally use glass cleaner on the wheels and maybe a very light degreaser on the motor.

One thing I'll never use is dish soap. Dish soap has a lot of alkalynes (sp) and will remove any wax that you have applied to protect your paint. In fact, the only time I'll use it is if I'm switching brands of wax and want to strip the old wax off.

Old 07-24-2006 | 07:16 PM
skullcrusher
Tourer

Honda Spray cleaner they sell at the dealorship works great. Ive only used it and never had to wash it in over 5g miles. The few times it has been washed was by the dealorship after "servicing" it. And I take the word "servicing" lightly...

Old 07-24-2006 | 08:51 PM
jshall755
Advanced

ORIGINAL: XL OCD
One thing I'll never use is dish soap. Dish soap has a lot of alkalynes (sp) and will remove any wax that you have applied to protect your paint. In fact, the only time I'll use it is if I'm switching brands of wax and want to strip the old wax off.
Absolutely. Never, ever, ever use dish soap to clean a painted/waxed surface. If you're really that cheap pick up some cheap car-wash soap at the parts store.

Quick Reply: I know this is a dumb question