Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know this is a dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006 | 09:03 PM
jets12
Novice
Default RE: I know this is a dumb question

I've always been taught the only DUMB question is the question that is not "asked"...NO matter how dumb it is..DISHWASHING SOAP is made to wash dishes and to CUT GREASE. You do not want to get the "grease" or wax off your bike that way, UNLESS you are doing a claybar of the tank and other areas, and want to start fresh.
I use Mcguires or a blue poly stuff....I work in an Operating room, and I use these really nice cotton gauze pads to wash and wax, also there is a mcguires spray on "waxing" for the in between real "waxings"

My bikes have been in the do it yourself wand spray car wash also, BUT I never take the brush across the tank, usually a sponge with the soap off the brush. I have a 2005 883 sportster

SKULLCRUSHER,
Not to bust your stones, but loud pipes do nto saves lives, they only scare the **** out of people. education and defensive riding saves lives along with helmets. Everyone should take a safety course, PLUS you get a break on your insurance.

Old 07-24-2006 | 10:01 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

My pipes saved me on Saturday. In the left lane of a two lane road each direction, left lane straight, right lane must turn right. Well as I approach the stop sign the car on my right starts to get over in my lane within a foot of my front tire. I let the clutch lever out to use the engine to help with my panic braking and the car gets back in her lane. At the stop as I open my mouth to say something she looks out the window and says thank god I heard you because I didn't see you and decided to go straight at the last minute.

Old 07-24-2006 | 10:08 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior

If you are going to dry it with a blower, made sure the blower is REALLY REALLY clean. Nothing like blowing bits of dirt at high speed at a clean bike.[:@]

Old 07-24-2006 | 10:11 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

Yeah, I think they call that sandblasting. Great for removing things, such as paint.[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 07-24-2006 | 10:38 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior

My pipe saved my *** the other day. One good throttle blip got a WISUVTOCP to hit her brakes instead of merging onto the interstate (and into me).

And the leafblower idea is a big plus for drying your bike, and especially your car.

Old 07-25-2006 | 12:15 AM
aceospades
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jets12

SKULLCRUSHER,
Not to bust your stones, but loud pipes do nto saves lives, they only scare the **** out of people. education and defensive riding saves lives along with helmets. Everyone should take a safety course, PLUS you get a break on your insurance.
i agree with you about the safety course and how it is a good thing for everyone who rides(and as a matter of fact they should make the non riding cagers take the written part of the course just to make them more aware that we are on the road)..but i can think of several times where someone was gonna pull out in front of me and i pull the cluch and juice up the engine and have caught attention,so you are wrong about that loud pipes save lives..and also i really dont know how this subject even came up in this tread..

Old 07-25-2006 | 12:17 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Good point about the leaf blower being clean. I seldom use mine in the vacuum mode, but I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Old 07-25-2006 | 09:42 AM
Gambit
Cruiser

I use the car wash with the wax in it and S100. That combo works really well. I have an 04 sporty and im not scared of the rain so it gets pretty dirty.

Old 07-25-2006 | 12:20 PM
TEK 679
Road Captain

I USE SIMPLE GREEN JUST SPRAY IT ON LET IT STAND FOR 5 MIN AND RINSE WITH WATER DON'T USE A BRUSH ON ANY ANY PAINT.
IT REALLY CUTS THE ROAD GRIME AND OIL FAST WONT HARM THE PAINT OR CHROME IF YOU HAVE HARD WATER AT YOUR PLACE YOU CAN TOUCH UP THE CHROME WITH GLASS CLEANER MAKING SURE NOT TO GET IT ON THE PAINT OR IT WILL STRIP THE WAX OFF QUICK. KEEP THE CHROME SIDE UP.

Old 07-25-2006 | 12:32 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

Sorry, I can't resist.

Don't ride along side people in cars and it won't bother you if they decide to change lanes!!!!!!!!!!
Stay behind them, or in front of them and not along side. It's called defensive riding (or using your head instead of your pipes to save your life)

Quick Reply: I know this is a dumb question