Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reversed Mirrors / Over bar vs under bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:45 PM
BucksBike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reversed Mirrors / Over bar vs under bar

The stock under the handlebar mirrors on the new 48 has me rethinking whether it makes the rear view mirrors less functional. I really like the look but after being away from riding for many many years I wasn't inclined to do something that was going to make the bike less safe just to make it look better (to me). I was assuming it would be more difficult to see with them under the bars.

Seeing how Harley is doing it on a stock bike mabe there isn't much down side. I'd like to hear from any one who has reversed their mirrow and how much or how it has affected the view from the mirrors.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:53 PM
67bullitt
Cruiser
Default It is better if adjusted right.

My view seemed to improve with mirrors under the bars.
If adjusted right the mirrors give a good view rearward and seem to shake less. You do have to get used to looking down for them instead of up above the bars.
I found that rotating the grip / switch mount a little one way or the other helped also.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:56 PM
RyanC
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love them dropped down. I think it fits the bike theme. I did it with mine. I'm 5'8" and even at my short height I have to scoot back and tip my head down a bit but I don't think it compromises safety at all. It takes all of ten minutes to do.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 PM
michaelmartin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BucksBike
The stock under the handlebar mirrors on the new 48 has me rethinking whether it makes the rear view mirrors less functional.

Quite the opposite, actually. With the mirrors up, all I could see was my shoulder and elbow. With the mirrors down, I can see everything else.

Besides, people have been flipping mirrors for a long time. First time I saw on a Sporty was at least 15 years ago and I'm sure it wasn't a new concept then.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:01 PM
FLYING
Club Member

I think the look is great but I have long legs and thought that I would be blocking them creating a big blind spot.I will be re-thinking this too !

Old 01-31-2010, 08:03 PM
Irish883
Road Captain

I flipped the mirrors on my Iron the other day and to be quite honest, I can see 100x better this way. Like the above poster said, all I could see with the mirrors in their normal position was my shoulders/elbows.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 PM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I flipped mine on my Iron like 2 weeks after i got it. Man what a world of difference.
The view with them is as stated above = Nothing but shoulders!
Don't worry about your legs blocking the view behind you as the view is pretty much looking at about hip level so legs should not be problem (I'm sure someone will correct me on this one) I too am 5'8" and it took me about a day of riding for it to become second nature to look down at the mirrors as opposed to looking at the mirrors on top and having to twist your shoulders to try to move them out of line of sight.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:10 AM
BucksBike
Cruiser

After doing some searches of old threads it looks like there may be some isssues with the wider 4.5 tank vs. the traditional peanut tank. Looking down as opposed to looking more sraight ahead seems to be one downside to having a better field of view with them under the bar.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:06 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All ya gotta do is flip them and try it for a while... if ya don't like it, switch it back. I can see everything behind me with them flipped. couldn't see a thing with them above the bars. I have drag bars with no rise on mine, maybe that makes it even better with them underneath.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:17 AM
NightsterAl
Cruiser

I flipped mine and now everything in my mirror is upside down. It's really cool!

Quick Reply: Reversed Mirrors / Over bar vs under bar