Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reversed Mirrors / Over bar vs under bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:56 PM
BucksBike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved the big tank mirror flippin issue

After not being able to keep the left side mirror from hitting the 4.5 tank no matter how I played with the adjustment I went to the local dealer again with my stock low mirror from the right side to pick up a long stem mirror to give that a shot. Also wanted to get a look at the 48. Had luck getting the right side longstem which would be used on the left when flipped but they were out of stock on the left. (was looking for black not the chrome). No luck on the 48. Their only one came in and was sold and gone by last night.

But the long stem mirror worked great. I was able to use the stock chrome mirror from the left on the right side and get that adjusted to see fine. The location of the hole on the control bracket is not exactly the same on both sides of of the bars. The right is a little more forward because if the brake fluid resevoir.

Took a little ride to test it out. Man what a difference it makes in being able to see the road behind you. Another benefit that I did not expect was how much better you can see the road ahead without the tall mirrors. It really unclutters the view in front of you which is more important than the view behind. Should get the black mirror for the right this week.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:35 AM
burntorangefan
Novice

Flipped my mirrors a few weeks back and what a difference it made. Now if will ever warm up!

Old 03-29-2010, 12:36 PM
DarkS1de
Novice

flipped mine on the nightster last weekend, didnt take long to get used to them, definitely better rear view, havent ridden with a passenger with it flipped so i cant say anything on that

Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 PM
BLACK BAGGER
Road Captain

OH you guys are flipped out & so am i LOL

Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM
egetrop
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BucksBike
After not being able to keep the left side mirror from hitting the 4.5 tank no matter how I played with the adjustment I went to the local dealer again with my stock low mirror from the right side to pick up a long stem mirror to give that a shot. Also wanted to get a look at the 48. Had luck getting the right side longstem which would be used on the left when flipped but they were out of stock on the left. (was looking for black not the chrome). No luck on the 48. Their only one came in and was sold and gone by last night.

But the long stem mirror worked great. I was able to use the stock chrome mirror from the left on the right side and get that adjusted to see fine. The location of the hole on the control bracket is not exactly the same on both sides of of the bars. The right is a little more forward because if the brake fluid resevoir.

Took a little ride to test it out. Man what a difference it makes in being able to see the road behind you. Another benefit that I did not expect was how much better you can see the road ahead without the tall mirrors. It really unclutters the view in front of you which is more important than the view behind. Should get the black mirror for the right this week.
Do you have a pic of how the mirrors look on the bike? I'm curious to see if it looks weird having an inverted short stem on the right side and an inverted longer stem on the left side? Thanks!

Old 04-05-2011, 04:47 AM
BucksBike
Cruiser

I wound upgetting the black long stems for both sides just to make it balanced.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:49 AM
SauceNJ
Advanced

i think it looks better AND the field of view is waaaay better. That being said, looking down at the mirrors takes your eyes off the road - it didn't used to when they were up over the bars. So, it's a compromise. In highly congested areas, yes- I think it's slightly less safe to have them under the bars. I tend to spend too much time looking down and not looking straight ahead.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Sikk50
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it yesterday, took it for a ride last night, I think I'll be going back. I don't feel like I can see very well at all

Old 04-05-2011, 02:08 PM
TSD1959
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I flipped the mirrors on mine months ago, and like it much better, plus I think it looks cool too. I have 4 3/4" straight risers under my bars (5 1/2" cut to 4 3/4" so I didn't have to change cables or wiring), so I don't have to look down much to see the mirrors, and they have plenty of tank clearance.

After looking at others mirrors, am I the only one who flipped the reflector part over so the small end is inside, toward the tank? I tried the other way first, but I can see better with the larger end outside. Plus, the writing on the mirrors is rightside up so I don't see everything upside down.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:45 PM
jzkrusn
Stage I
Default Possible fix for your problem

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
Has anyone out there with a 1200C installed drag bars and flipped the mirrors? Again, most of what I see here are Nightsters, Irons, and Sportsters with peanut tanks. The C tank is wider.
I had same problem w/ flipped mirrors on my Iron w/drag bar. Went thru 2 sets of mirrors before I solved. Check out J&P Cycles - they have an "old school" oval or rectangle mirror (that's the name) w/short stem that is adjustable up to 180 degrees. Plenty of clearance now so they don't hit tank from either left or right turns. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Reversed Mirrors / Over bar vs under bar