Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newer Sportsters w/ Old School Oil Tank????

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Nightster Ridester
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Newer Sportsters w/ Old School Oil Tank????

I'm really wanting to put a Old School Oil Tank on the bike, but not seeing any threads about this. Can it be dont? Or is there a reason no one is hardly doin this? I have a pretty good idea of the setup with the Battery/Computer and such, just need some actual pictures.
Any Help? Thanks

Old 01-31-2010, 07:29 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought about it when I had mine apart. I think the stock frame design will make it look funky unless you make one. Then I think it'll look kind of like a softail oil tank.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Nightster Ridester
Tourer

Yeah i kinda drawed up an idea and think it'll work but just alot of wire clean up. me myself tho just dont know how the oil tank works and which ones to buy. Some have 2 or 3 or 4 Bungs I believe they are called. Just seems like there are different applications, Im afraid of buyin one that wont work. they sale ones that have a slot for the battery and can weld up another slot for the computer so......I just need more advice on how these things work and some tips. Seems easy tho, just bolt up, install lines, clean up wires/lines, pour oil and ready to go

Old 01-31-2010, 10:22 PM
Xenomorph
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Nightster Ridester, where did you see a round oil tank for the new Nightsters that have a spot for the battery and ECM? If possible, post a link. I'm still looking for options to solve the whole "ECM in the rear fender" issue. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

nice idea.. the oil tank is the only way to tell its a sporty once you mod the bike- so a new oil tank would make it very hard to tell what you are riding!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master

Originally Posted by wanabe
nice idea.. the oil tank is the only way to tell its a sporty once you mod the bike- so a new oil tank would make it very hard to tell what you are riding!
How do you figure? How about the right side belt, the smaller primary, the shape of the cam cover, the size of the frame, the shape of the tank.....
That aside, you'd be very challenged to fit a round oil tank in the frame and not look goofy.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wanabe

besides what the guy above me posted, the pushrods as well...comon man sporty are way unique in alota ways.

to the OP

its possible, you would need to create a bracket to hold the oil bag in place, normaly people don't do it because of what others have said, a round oil bag in a triangular frame hole just looks outta place and thats why most do it when they hardtail, you get rid of the triangle. plus the issue of where to put the battery and whatever other electrics you have under there.

as far as makin a bracket, your probley talin about welding tabs onto your frame. as far as the bungs, if you remove your oil bag cover on your nighty you can look at the bottom and see how many holes you would need, also look in your owners manual if you do do it to see how much oil your current bag holds so you don't get too small or to big of a bag

if you do it post a build thread, would be cool to see

Old 01-31-2010, 11:37 PM
jarel
Intermediate

I thought about this too...but when I was looking around, there was just a problem of finding a place for the battery.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:43 PM
beanerblank
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep thinking about putting a horsehoe style tank in there.....and modifying the frame so I can sit a bit lower.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:08 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

all oil tanks work the same,1 supply hose,1 return hose and a vent hose. just a matter of what fits in the space you have.. some of the older ones might of vented thru the cap but that isnt a good idea, it could blow oil all over you and the bike(rear tire)