Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE vs. V-H pipes- Which are better?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 10:22 AM
timatraw
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE vs. V-H pipes- Which are better?

My H-Desearch project for the day are exhaust systems for the 1200C.
I'm looking to buy a 1200C with pipes (or add them).
The SE pipes- they are the harley brand -right? Are they now discontinued?
What is the difference in price between SE pipes and Vance-Hines?
It seems from what I read that SE owners like their SE pipes and V-H owners LOVE their pipes?
Which pipes did you buy? How much did they cost? Do you like them? Which do you reccomend?
Thanks.
Tim

Old 07-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Iron Legend
Cruiser
Default RE: SE vs. V-H pipes- Which are better?

I think the 'legal' SE mufflers have the Harley-Davidson script on the rear pipe and the SE11's have the Screamin' Eagle script on the rear one (which are the ones I have). The SE11's cost me $298CAD and I like them very much. As far as I know the Screamin' Eagles line of mufflers are discontinued ie: not available any more unless a dealer has some already in his parts stock. As for which is better, like I said I have the SE11 on my 883 and had V&H Cruisers on the V-Star 650 I had before this one and can say that I like them both although the V&H may be a little louder than the SE's.

Tom

Old 07-23-2006, 10:51 AM
MidWest XL
Tourer

I'm running SE IIs and love the sound. Genuine HD sound without being too obnoxious. A buddy of mine has V & H straightshots on his Dyna. They have a different sound. Maybe a bit higher in tone and more raspy sounding. They are definitely louder than my SE IIs. When I ride with him I can barely hear my bike.

I like the quality, and type of sound I get with my SE IIs, that's why I haven't changed to anything else. They have discontinued them because of EPA standards. But there are always some on eBay for good prices. I think I paid around $200 for mine from the dealership.

Pipes & sound are so subjective, your best bet is to go to places where a lot of bikes will be and check out the different bikes. Listen to them and ask questions. Sometimes you think you want something until you talk to people that have them and they hate them. Or you hear them and hate them.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:59 AM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I LOVE my V&H pipes! I only paid around $250 for them which is a bargain considering that's about the same price as most slip ons. Definitely great bang for the buck, but I would still love them at any price.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:02 AM
MidWest XL
Tourer

sealbeachbum

I've loved those pipes ever since they came out, but they're for '04 and newer only.

I forgot to ask timatraw what year bike he has. It will definitely make a difference in options.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:36 PM
Edw
Intermediate

Go listen to the Screamin Eagles, if they're not loud enough for you go with the V&H, I'm talking slip-on's. While the SE's are much better than the stock exhaust, I just wanted something a bit louder and the V&H are perfect. If they turn out that they are a bit too loud for you they do make a quiet baffle that you can put in. Another reason I chose the V&H was that they look like a complete set of pipes, since the diameter of the muffler is just a little larger than the stock header pipes. I got mine from M&M cyles on line for $200, great place to deal with for parts. Just send them an email and they'll send you a quote within a couple of hours. -Ed

Old 07-23-2006, 07:00 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also prefer the V&H over the SE's. They are a little louder but on my 2005, they sound very deep and clean like the bike means serious business. I do not get that raspy sound that some V&H pipes produce. I believe V&H took care of that when the introduced the new HS series pipes which is what I have.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Edw
Intermediate

Warrior, that's the exact set up I have on my 05 1200C and I couldn't be happier. Nice bike, I was wondering what the chrome lower belt guard would look like now that I have smaller diameter mufflers and it looks good on yours. I have the upper, so I guess the lower is next on the list. -Ed

Old 07-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Dr.Cool
Banned

Fellas,
I am looking at the new catalog on page 554 and the screaming eagle pipes for the sportster are called "Screaming Eagle Street Performance"
I was told (at the dealer) they changed the name, hushed them down a bit but are still the pipe for a stage 1.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:48 PM
MidWest XL
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Dr.Cool

Fellas,
I am looking at the new catalog on page 554 and the screaming eagle pipes for the sportster are called "Screaming Eagle Street Performance"
I was told (at the dealer) they changed the name, hushed them down a bit but are still the pipe for a stage 1.
Doc

Here's a link to a set of SE IIs for a smokin price:
http://xlforum.net/pp_classified/sho...1&cat=4&page=1

Quick Reply: SE vs. V-H pipes- Which are better?