Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand of Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 09:32 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Brand of Fuel

Has anyone noticed a significant difference if brand of gas used? For some reason, my 883 performs MUCH better with CITCO gas. I notieced immediately the first time I used it. I assumed it was just a one time thing, but after experiementing with several brands of gas, CITCO is the only one I notice any difference. The bike seems to have a bit more pep, and gets on average 3 - 4 miles per gallon more. Less carb farts, and just generally is a happier little PIG than usual. Just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:24 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brand of Fuel

Different areas of the Country have different formulas, so it will vary for everyone. Personally, I refuse to buy gas from Citgo. They're owned by Venezuela, and they're not exactly a best friend of the U.S. I usually stick to either Mobil, Exxon, Sunoco, or B.P., but those are for political/terrorism reasons as to where I want my money to go, not the performance of the bike. I find that just as long as I'm using 91 or better, I don't notice a difference in performance with my setup.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:41 PM
BluRooster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you're onto something. Seems Citgo makes HD oil so maybe HD does all of their testing with Citgo gas.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_68443/tm.htm

Old 07-22-2006, 02:06 PM
russkrs
Cruiser

I use whatever is closest when I am getting low.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:49 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Ok, at this point, I believe I have enought data to say that CITGO fuel works far far better in my 883 than any other fuel. I just returned from a 4 day, 5 state bike ride. Covered over 1,000 miles all on back roads. When I headed out, I had about half a tank of CITGO fuel. Then when I refueled, I found CITGO. The bike was running fantastic!! (after putting on cycle shack slip ons last week...zero carb farts!!!! woohooo) That was until the next tank of gas. All I could find was TEXACO. The first carb fart was before I got out of the gas station parking lot, and they continued for the next 135 miles, until I again found some CITGO gas. All was well again. Next tank..BP gas..again carb farts...Next tank, EXXON..more carb farts..Next tank..CITGO...HAPPY PIG again!!! Then I was running on fumes, and put just a gallon of TEXACO, once again immediate carb farts. The rest of the trip I was able to find CITGO fuel and the bike ran great. Not only are the carb farts gone, but the fuel milage is higher as well.

Now I agree with the above post about the Venezuela government and CITGO, but I don't think if the entire USA discontinued buying CITGO fuel it would solve that problem. That's a world wide commodity, and until the tree huggers in America will let us build more refineries, and drill for oil on our own land, we will be at the mercy of the type of thugs that run Venezuela, IRAN, etc etc etc.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:19 PM
brohrs
Road Captain

CHEVRON

Old 08-04-2006, 07:38 PM
BluRooster
Tourer

Now I agree with the above post about the Venezuela government and CITGO, but I don't think if the entire USA discontinued buying CITGO fuel it would solve that problem. That's a world wide commodity, and until the tree huggers in America will let us build more refineries, and drill for oil on our own land, we will be at the mercy of the type of thugs that run Venezuela, IRAN, etc etc etc.
We're probably better off by moving to alternate fuels quicker. No that I'm a tree hugger. More a boob hugger...

Old 08-05-2006, 08:35 AM
humpyy57
Tourer

Dont knowif it is the brand so much as the octane .When I use Caseys gas (89) octane mpg goes down 3-5.Use anyone elses 91 plus mpg goes back up .I usually use Mobil but really hate them because of the GROSS profits they are posting on the backs of all gas consumers

Old 08-05-2006, 08:40 AM
kmm
Road Captain

Sunoco 93 less farts

Old 08-05-2006, 03:07 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Oh, I should have mentioned, this was all on 87 octane fuel. Lower compression ratio on the 883, not suppose to need higher octane.

Quick Reply: Brand of Fuel