Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading my Yaris for an Iron!! Woohoo

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010 | 12:57 PM
bluepencil
|
6th Gear

hehe, yea I know its quite a small car, but consider that the Yaris T3 here is $24,330 *Which I paid off now, so take that as cash* for my Yaris T3

Wonder what sort of car I could have bought if I lived in the states for $24-25k... /sigh, we get screwed so badly down here...

Anyways, will take the advise of just riding stock for a few weeks and then invest in the extras!!

Guys thank you so much for the responses really appreciate it!

LJ

Last edited by bluepencil; 01-24-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2010 | 01:01 PM
bluepencil
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by lizdc
I have both a yaris 09 5 door and a sportster 2008 883c..

Get some riding boots..
When I got my bike I got a sissy bar installed and put a bag on back of it. I also got an engine guard installed to protect the bike if I dropped it. I also got saddle bags from ebay. I don't keep them on my bike. They are inside but throw them on when I need them...

And I just broke down and got heated glove liners. They are great depends on your weather. I realize it is summer in SA right now so probably not an issue but in a few months it might be?

Thats a good point, the boots, how do you manage going to work and wearing proper driving boots, do you change them at work?

As for the weather, its pretty much summer all year round, never seen snow in my life. So good spot to drive HD's all year round at least

Old 01-24-2010 | 02:10 PM
midnight2005
Banned

you will hate the sound of the stock exhaust. you can live with not having forward controls for a while. But to not sound like a harley is just pathetic. i say go to ebay and buy some slip ons, or Vance and Hines and make that thing sound like it should. you will save alot of money. than look up the thread about forward controls for under $100.00 usd and make your own. With what you have left, you will be able to have both. BUT you do need a good pair of leather riding boots.

Old 01-24-2010 | 02:25 PM
Dango
Road Captain

Originally Posted by midnight2005
you will hate the sound of the stock exhaust. you can live with not having forward controls for a while. But to not sound like a harley is just pathetic. i say go to ebay and buy some slip ons, or Vance and Hines and make that thing sound like it should. you will save alot of money. than look up the thread about forward controls for under $100.00 usd and make your own. With what you have left, you will be able to have both. BUT you do need a good pair of leather riding boots.
I Totally agree...the stock pipes are lame. I would (and did) change those out right away. You might also want to consider highway pegs instead of forwards. They are a cheaper alternative that allow you to stretch out and still give you the option of having mids to change leg positioning. That might save you some $ for World Cup tix

Old 01-24-2010 | 02:39 PM
bluepencil
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dango
I Totally agree...the stock pipes are lame. I would (and did) change those out right away. You might also want to consider highway pegs instead of forwards. They are a cheaper alternative that allow you to stretch out and still give you the option of having mids to change leg positioning. That might save you some $ for World Cup tix
haha, yea man completely forgot about that little event! lol

Old 01-24-2010 | 07:17 PM
beaucoup_dinkydow
Tourer

First, let me say that your wanting a Sportster is great and your enthusiasm is also.
I don't mean to rain on your parade but, and I quote, "got sick of driving a car, gf has one".
If something happens between you and your gf, would you be able to make do with just a bike? Something to think about.
I'm older and consider a car a necessity and a bike a luxury. Hopefully, your situation will work out in the long run.
As others have pointed out, if you get the bike, ride it for a while. The you can make an informed decision on which mod is most important to you.
Good luck, whichever you decide to go.

Old 01-25-2010 | 07:22 AM
Brennr
Cruiser

my advice wud be to ride the hell outa it first. Then decide which accessories to go for. alot would depend on your riding style. I'd swop out those bars 4 sum propa drag style 1s & den fit sum pipes

Old 01-25-2010 | 08:35 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bluepencil
Thats a good point, the boots, how do you manage going to work and wearing proper driving boots, do you change them at work?

As for the weather, its pretty much summer all year round, never seen snow in my life. So good spot to drive HD's all year round at least
I change at work, or leave on my riding boots under jeans they look fine (for days I don't have outside meetings), and I keep a pair of dress shoes at teh office. For guys I just suggest that you keep a pair of dress/work shoes at the office since most of you don't need to figure out what shoes for what outfit. Also if you need a jacket and or suit just keeping one at the office helps. But backpack or saddle bags do fine for having back up clothes for the commute. Hell I have a a ton of friends who commute on there bikes as in non motorized version and they do the same thing.

Old 01-25-2010 | 09:22 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

Well i would never have a bike as my only mode of transportation, but if you want to go for it. Like was said ride the bike and look around to see what you like. Once you start to buy parts it will never stops LOL!.

Old 01-25-2010 | 01:01 PM
malla1962
Advanced

First thing I would do is get the thing breathing, Aircleaner ,pipes and fuel pack.