Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No cable buying chart for aftermarket bars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 06:17 AM
Xenomorph
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK oinker, I just got my new wire extension kit just as listed above and I have another question. The wire all come pre connected to the housing and in a black sleeve (as usually when the wires are mounted to the outside of bars). My question is, am I supposed to remove the black sleeve because I'm running them inside the RSD bars? Just seems like a real pain in the @$$ if I gotta run that whole sleeve around those sharp RSD corners. And if I do have to remove it, will the sharp edges on the corners inside the bars eventually cut into the wires? Thanks again!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I left mine on to prevent damage.

Trust me, it ain't that hard.....FIRST, cut the pins off the new harness-they supplied new one in the kit.

Second, lube wires liberly with white lithium grease-cheap and easy to find

Insert long, strong string all the way thru bars and tie string very securely to wires using a 'trailing hitch'.

Pull wires thru upper bar-all the way thru- so that it exits completely, then(very important) install switch housing in proper place on bar....Once you are certain switch housing is in proper place, bend wires back inside bars and feed down to the next hole in the lower part of bar.

At lower hole once again pull wires completely out of bars, and then bend wires back and feed inside bars again heading for exit hole in bottom center of bars.

It is necessary to suse string to pull wires as you push them thru. Use plenty of the white grease.....once installed, use clear silicone to attach bar end caps or they will fall off.

White lithium grease will not harm your wires over time, plus it hardens and will not drip out. It is one of the few lubes truely safe to use unless you can find actual wire lube made for pulling electrical wiring.