Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belt guard on 06 883l

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 04:21 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default belt guard on 06 883l

I've noticed a few dings in my belt guard on my 883l. I only have about 280 miles on it. Is it normal for it to get a bit dingged up from pebbles and gravel? The bike doesn't seem to have dings anywhere else. Perhaps the belt guard is a bit flimsy and prone to dings?

appreciate any feedback.

Rob

Old 07-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: belt guard on 06 883l

I've got over 3K on my 2005 XL1200R and no dings on the belt guard - yet. It could be that you are riding on more gravel roads than I am. If so, be careful! A stone in the pulley can bust your belt real fast - and they ain't cheap![:@]

Thumper26

Old 07-20-2006, 05:13 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

on second thought, it could be the spot welds that I am seeing. they are pretty uniform and no paint is chipped. never noticed it before yesterday though.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:41 PM
robjohnston
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes those are the welds, it pisses me off because i like the black ones it contrasts the chrome that i have been adding, they also do it so you will buy a chrome one, i love my sportster but crap like that pisses me off, here is another one look at the crappy welds on the swing arm, so i went to the dealer and looked at the chrome one harley sells and it has crappy welds

Old 08-25-2006, 08:04 PM
bnoack
Intermediate

Has any changed an upper belt guard on 883C or 1200. It looks pretty daunghting since you have to undo the back bolt.
Can anyone comment as to if it is too hard for an at home change or bit the $30 bullet.

Thanks (rookie at working on bikes)

Old 08-25-2006, 08:18 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: bnoack

Has any changed an upper belt guard on 883C or 1200. It looks pretty daunghting since you have to undo the back bolt.
Can anyone comment as to if it is too hard for an at home change or bit the $30 bullet.

The top belt guard is easy to change, even for a rookie. Just got to loose that back bolt out and slide it up. The bottom belt gaurd is harder to change trying to get it to fit in there without taking everything apart. At the least, the mufflers will have to come off.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:27 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: WarriorHD

The top belt guard is easy to change, even for a rookie. Just got to loose that back bolt out and slide it up. The bottom belt gaurd is harder to change trying to get it to fit in there without taking everything apart. At the least, the mufflers will have to come off.
Actually the bottom is a piece of cake to take off....

I removed my lower 'pant leg guard', and it only took a couple of minutes. Didn't have to remove the mufflers or anything else.

As you can see from the below picture, there are three slotted openings that hold the lower 'guard' in place.

Just loosen the three attachment screws, and 'slide' the guard towards the front of the bike. The slotted openings in the guard are larger than the diameter of the screw heads, so you just lower the guard down and then pull it out...

Old 08-25-2006, 08:29 PM
bnoack
Intermediate

Thanks Warrior -

HD mentioned that I should use a jack and a two person job. Looking at it, maybe so with the fact that the guard is attachced to the rear shock. Not sure.

Just curious because I am a bit anxious...just put on chrome oil and battery cover; and have controls and belt guard to put on this weekend. The first of many chrome pieces.
(Next weekend primary, gear, and sprocket trim...:-)

Old 08-26-2006, 10:08 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks Warrior -

HD mentioned that I should use a jack and a two person job. Looking at it, maybe so with the fact that the guard is attachced to the rear shock. Not sure.

Just curious because I am a bit anxious...just put on chrome oil and battery cover; and have controls and belt guard to put on this weekend. The first of many chrome pieces.
(Next weekend primary, gear, and sprocket trim...:-)

I did both myself without any help... the inside shock nut was a son-of-a-gun to get ahold of... but other than that, there's nothing to it really.... I did have a jack though...

Charlie D.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:51 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member

[/quote]

Actually the bottom is a piece of cake to take off....

I removed my lower 'pant leg guard', and it only took a couple of minutes. Didn't have to remove the mufflers or anything else.

As you can see from the below picture, there are three slotted openings that hold the lower 'guard' in place.

Just loosen the three attachment screws, and 'slide' the guard towards the front of the bike. The slotted openings in the guard are larger than the diameter of the screw heads, so you just lower the guard down and then pull it out...

[/quote]

I agree, taking the cheap plastic gaurd was a piece of cake. BUT, getting the new chrome one on was quite tricky. It took some time and a little swearing trying to get it to fit in there. I had to remove the mufflers. Maybe I just didn't know the "trick" to it.