Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use billet grips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Badass67stang
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use billet grips?

anyone here use billet grips? im thinking of getting a set and read there not really good for everyday use more of a show bike thing.

just wanna get some opinions on how they feel slippery in the heat of summer?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:05 PM
stonewall308
Tourer

I am looking into new grips as well. I typed "billet grips" into google to see what you were talking about and a whole bunch of different styles came up. Which leads me to the question: what is the difference between a "billet" grip and any other type of grip?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Badass67stang
anyone here use billet grips? im thinking of getting a set and read there not really good for everyday use more of a show bike thing.

just wanna get some opinions on how they feel slippery in the heat of summer?
I have them on my Wide Glide. They are ok as far as comfort goes but to tell you the truth, the stock ones are better as far as comfort goes. They are not hot at all in the summer.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 PM
pleasants9
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF by billet you mean replacing the rubber handle grips with the metal ones. then here is my 2 cents. I have the chromed grips that come to a sharp point at the end. They go really nicely with the chrome and look good. When I leave the bike in the florida sun in the summer for longer than 30 minutes they DO get hot, but the metal is thin enough that it doesn't take but a few minutes for them to become the temperature of my hand. Also, there is much less friction, bare handed and with my winter gloves I have no slippage at all but my summer gloves I wear for long rides the throttle grip slowly works its way down, but that could also be cause the grip on the gloves is old. Overall I like them and am happy with mine.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a set of these grips on mine to match my foot pegs.
I have no problem with grip or heat issues in the summer. The only problem I had was having to drill some holes in the throttle sleeve so the three set screws wouldn't lock the plastic throttle sleeve down to the bars acting as a throttle lock. The holes allowed the set screws to hold the grip onto the sleeve but not the entire grip & sleeve down so I'd be able to roll the throttle easier. Oh, and I lost two of the set screws on the throttle side because I forgot to re-locktite the screws once I re-assembled it & went on test runs.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Krakanator
Tourer

Yeah, what type are you thinking about? If you are talking about the diamond cut ones that HD makes, I got em and I like em too. I ride in OHIO so I have not had any problems with excessive heat. But in the cold you better wear your gloves, because they get really cold if they are outside for a while. Comfort is fine though, I actually kind of like the lack of cushion, they are like the sportster of grips...you "feel" the road.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:32 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Billet is just a term used to describe the manufacuring process. The word billet is used in many, many different scenarios.
But to ask about "billet grips", well, that's really very, very vague. You would get a much better reply if you just refer to the grips you are interested in.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:04 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Used some I had laying around the garage when I rebuilt the FXD. Little slick when they get wet.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone use billet grips?-bars.jpg  
Old 01-14-2010, 05:35 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've used billet grips for years they work just fine, just don't forget your gloves when it's a 100 degrees outside.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:40 PM
congo_usmc
Tourer

ive had the wide band billet grips for a while, i love them never had any issues with slippage, heat or cold. I do however always ride with gloves.

Quick Reply: Anyone use billet grips?