Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are HD Sportster's Girls bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 03:36 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are HD Sportster's Girls bikes.

Hi people

Just purchased a 2005 HD Sportster 1200R (roadster). I was very hesitant though cause I have heard that " Guys " dont ride sportsters and that only " Girls " ride sportsters. I must admit too that when at the harley dealership I Never see a Guy on a sporster. I only see guys on the Other types of harleys. Any feedback or comments on this would be most appreciative. Thanks........

Tim

Old 11-22-2004, 03:43 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Are HD Sportster's Girls bikes.

I ride a Sportster 1200C and I'm a guy. The reason you don't see guys on the Sportsters at the dealership is because they're dream shopping. I only tried out the Sportster once I knew I was getting a bike...one that I could start on and grow out of eventually. I once saw a guy that was about 6'4" riding an 883 (no forward controls) that was HIS. It looked kinda funny cause he was so big but he was proud as hell to be on his Harley.

Besides...it's the man that makes the bike, not the bike that makes the man.

Old 11-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member

It all about what YOU want... peroid!

I just got back from a 48 degree ride around town on my Ol' Ironhead. It's a 1978 XL1000, and runs like a raped ape. I like the big bikes, I loved my 1973 74" ElectraGlide. I rode it for over 8 yrs. with virtually no problems. My family grew, yada. yada, yada and I sold it for a profit.
I always wanted a old Sportster to play with, so I bought the 1 I have now.
My Father-in-law has a Heritage Soft tail Springer and he really liked the feel of this Ironhead.
While he was here visiting from Stone Mountain GA., he road it more than I did!
The way I see it, no matter what Harley is out there, the older, the better.
Don't get me wrong, I love the new bikes, but I can't see laying out that kind of cash... personally.

Old 11-22-2004, 05:55 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

I hear you guys and Yes the New harleys are Soooo expensive. Mine was 3 bucks short of 10 grand and that was with No extras like extended warrenty or accessories. Just the bike, BS Dealer fee's and sales Tax. Decided to buy New cause I have Never bought a New vechile before and figured this was the right time. the Dyna glide sport I was looking at was almost 15 Grand and I just couldnt justify that.

The reason I ask about sportsters being a girls bike is because I dont really want to go to any rallies like bike week at daytona and hear a rash of jokes and other crap. I know your not suppose to let other people get to you but it is something I have heard before and wanted to ask about it. Thanks again.

Old 11-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member

I understand what you're sayin Dude, but say you're at Sturgis... ***** what anyone else thinks!

Besides... say you pull in on that new $20K ride and Paul Sr. pulls up next to you on a MEGA$$$ Chopper... you'll still feel like a ***** in church. LMAO!!!

Old 11-22-2004, 06:41 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Ironhead

Besides... say you pull in on that new $20K ride and Paul Sr. pulls up next to you on a MEGA$$$ Chopper... you'll still feel like a ***** in church. LMAO!!!
Good way of looking at it.

Old 11-23-2004, 11:55 AM
Phil R
Intermediate

I also have a new '05 XL1200R that intimidates the hell out the females that I know. The weight, the seat height and the power are too much for them to handle. I will probably buy a Road King next year for touring, but the Sporster stays!!! It's a great bike!

Old 11-23-2004, 09:42 PM
4boltsiron
Tourer

Lets just say there are ummmm.......30,000 sportsters out there(wild guess).
90% of those are owned by men..so,thats 27,000 mento three thousand women.
The only ones that are going to give you a hard time about your XL are doinks
who feel better by putting someone down,You know what?they are few and far between
.been to some big rallies and havent had ANYONE give me **** about my 'Ol Ironhead.
Met some Boss Guys on sportsters and nice gals on big twins.First I thought you were putting this in here to get a kick out of it.But your serious Huh?So where is this that all chicks ride sporties anyway?(sounds interesting)

Old 11-23-2004, 10:01 PM
BClem
Banned

This is a philosopher, this 12stones. I must admit that I'm ready to read what he has to say. I see much wisdom - please 12stones, don't be 65 years old...But then , what the heck? Age is skin deep.

BClem

(the edit put it someplace that it wasnt meant to be)

Old 11-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

I never understand that statement that sporty's are skirtsters. I have a few freinds that ride them, both 883 and 1200's, and they are always smileing. Just ride!

Quick Reply: Are HD Sportster's Girls bikes.