Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know? Sportster Sidekick seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:13 PM
RockyMtnRG
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

5150, why do you say the sidekick a POS? Uncomfortable? I'm thinking about getting one but sounds like you'd advise against it? Thanks.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Julio13
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Custom

Feels like it could be more comfy on a slightly longer ride say 100 miles+
Here is the bike with OEM

Old 01-07-2010, 10:08 PM
themac5150
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RockyMtnRG
5150, why do you say the sidekick a POS? Uncomfortable? I'm thinking about getting one but sounds like you'd advise against it? Thanks.
It only offers marginally better comfort than the stock seat. I ordered mine because like everyone else, I was so against putting a mustang on my sporty and ruining the lines. I've owned mustang seats before, and I know just how great they are, but they are butt ugly on the sporty. So I saw the sidekick, and thought there is a nice looking seat. Yeah, it looks nice. It's "custom", has leather seating panels, carpet on bottom, yada yada yada. It requires you to remove the stud that the stock seat "locks" to in the middle area, and replace with a short bolt, nut and washer to retain the grab strap. My sidekick is the "A" version, for later bikes with the ECMs on the fender and the small tank. If I hit a big bump or pot hole, the front tab pops out from underneath the tank. This is because the rear mounting tab has a big slot instead of a round hole, and it allows the seat to work its way back while you ride. Combine this with the overall flimsiness of the seat pan, that seems to flatten out like a pancake under pressure, and it gives it enough room to happen. It happened to me on a ride. I didn't know it had popped out until I was leaned deep into a curve, and my seat led the way. I can repeat the results plopping my butt down on the seat in the garage. That POS has been hanging on the wall ever since. YMMV. But it looks good. My mustang hasn't moved since I attached it, the passenger pillion comes off and on all the time...

and I'm 5'11" and 175lbs, I'm not pushing the limits here...

Last edited by themac5150; 01-08-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 PM
johnnyo883
Advanced

crazytrain69, on a different note, i noticed you have a reach seat and 11.5" progressive 412's. how do you like both of them. i have an 07 883low that i am looking at the reach 2-up and 412 shocks in possibly 11.5 or 12". your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by themac5150
If I hit a big bump or pot hole, the front tab pops out from underneath the tank. This is because the rear mounting tab has a big slot instead of a round hole, and it allows the seat to work its way back while you ride. Combine this with the overall flimsiness of the seat pan, that seems to flatten out like a pancake under pressure, and it gives it enough room to happen. It happened to me on a ride. I didn't know it had popped out until I was leaned deep into a curve, and my seat led the way. I can repeat the results plopping my butt down on the seat in the garage.
I modified the mounting tab on my seat so this wouldn't happen.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...nightster.html
I posted some pictures in a thread somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:12 AM
RockyMtnRG
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks 5150, I've had a Mustang wide vintage on my 04 1200C for years and am thinking of stripping the bike down a bit (had the Sporty set up for touring, but recently bought a Road Glide and now only use the Sporty to commute). Your reply confirms my fear, though - I'll likely be disappointed with any other seat after getting spoiled with the Mustang. Guess I'll put the stock seat on for now - it looks better than the Mustang, and won't cost me anything - maybe tolerable for short rides. If not, I might look at a Mustang Fastback.

Originally Posted by themac5150
It only offers marginally better comfort than the stock seat. I ordered mine because like everyone else, I was so against putting a mustang on my sporty and ruining the lines. I've owned mustang seats before, and I know just how great they are, but they are butt ugly on the sporty. So I saw the sidekick, and thought there is a nice looking seat. Yeah, it looks nice. It's "custom", has leather seating panels, carpet on bottom, yada yada yada. It requires you to remove the stud that the stock seat "locks" to in the middle area, and replace with a short bolt, nut and washer to retain the grab strap. My sidekick is the "A" version, for later bikes with the ECMs on the fender and the small tank. If I hit a big bump or pot hole, the front tab pops out from underneath the tank. This is because the rear mounting tab has a big slot instead of a round hole, and it allows the seat to work its way back while you ride. Combine this with the overall flimsiness of the seat pan, that seems to flatten out like a pancake under pressure, and it gives it enough room to happen. It happened to me on a ride. I didn't know it had popped out until I was leaned deep into a curve, and my seat led the way. I can repeat the results plopping my butt down on the seat in the garage. That POS has been hanging on the wall ever since. YMMV. But it looks good. My mustang hasn't moved since I attached it, the passenger pillion comes of and on all the time...

and I'm 5'11" and 175lbs, I'm not pushing the limits here...

Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 PM
themac5150
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RockyMtnRG
Thanks 5150, I've had a Mustang wide vintage on my 04 1200C for years and am thinking of stripping the bike down a bit (had the Sporty set up for touring, but recently bought a Road Glide and now only use the Sporty to commute). Your reply confirms my fear, though - I'll likely be disappointed with any other seat after getting spoiled with the Mustang. Guess I'll put the stock seat on for now - it looks better than the Mustang, and won't cost me anything - maybe tolerable for short rides. If not, I might look at a Mustang Fastback.
Good luck with that.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:44 AM
roc1200l
Novice
Default Same Problem

Julio: It seems like I have the same dilemma as you. I just bought a sidekick seat for my 07 1200 L on e bay. It is the 52940-04 not 52940-04 A. The add says it fits 04 and up. I have not gotten it yet. Could you please tell us how you modified the seat pan to fit and what tool you used to cut it with. Did you fill the hole some how?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Julio13
Advanced
Default The sidekick mod

I have not yet cut the seat I am going to the dealer to get some ideas. I plan to cut and then fill with some sort of hard foam or something like that. I will keep you posted Julio