Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuelpak essential or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Hawkmoon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuelpak essential or not?

I had a a fuelpak along with my v and h shortshots and SE air filter on my 07 xl883. All was well apart from a lot of miss firing in the rain until one morning it would not start. I got a local bike garage to look at it as there arent many HD mechanics in these parts. He diagnosed a shorted out fuelpak that was sending neat fuel into the rear cylinder and then to the exhaust
He took out the fuelpak and said the bike doesnt need it. I am now riding it without the fuelpak it seems ok with no difference am i doing any damage? and how could i tell before its to late?

Old 12-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not needed at all....dont waste money on a new one

Old 12-30-2009, 02:48 PM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior

nope, 100% useless to me cuz i'd rip out the entire POS fuel injection system (sell it on ebay) and drop in a carb n ignition kit.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Krakanator
Tourer

Buddy of mine rides an 04 Dyna with SE air cleaner and VH Longshots. No fuelpack (or equivalent) and he says that it runs just fine. No popping, no hesitation (in fact he says he has better throttle response than when he was stock a/c with slipons). I'm sure you can squeeze every last bit out of your ride with some fuel management, but I guess they are coming off the assembly line pretty rich these days.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:49 PM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Krakanator
Buddy of mine rides an 04 Dyna with SE air cleaner and VH Longshots. No fuelpack (or equivalent) and he says that it runs just fine. No popping, no hesitation (in fact he says he has better throttle response than when he was stock a/c with slipons). I'm sure you can squeeze every last bit out of your ride with some fuel management, but I guess they are coming off the assembly line pretty rich these days.
Actually quite the opposite, they are coming off the assembly line LEANER and LEANER due to the more strict EPA regulations

Old 12-30-2009, 03:51 PM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
I had a a fuelpak along with my v and h shortshots and SE air filter on my 07 xl883. All was well apart from a lot of miss firing in the rain until one morning it would not start. I got a local bike garage to look at it as there arent many HD mechanics in these parts. He diagnosed a shorted out fuelpak that was sending neat fuel into the rear cylinder and then to the exhaust
He took out the fuelpak and said the bike doesnt need it. I am now riding it without the fuelpak it seems ok with no difference am i doing any damage? and how could i tell before its to late?

If you have a higher flowing air filter than your stock one then yeah, you are going to need some type of fuel management. You can't go by feel, you may be running VERY LEAN and not even know that you are slowly frying your engine. You'll do that one WOT run and then your engine may crap out on ya. You bike is sucking in more air with the higher flowing filter and therefore needs fuel to be added

Old 12-30-2009, 04:00 PM
SauerKraut
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second that, lean = heat, and heat is bad in the engine. Don't listen to anyone but a licensed mechanic.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:10 AM
harleyboy2009
Intermediate

if your just doin slip ons then you'd be ok, but if your running a full system and a high flow filter you need some sort of managment as as you have more fuel/air to deal with, for the cost of fueler compared to the cost of a rebuild its def worth it dude,

Old 12-31-2009, 06:09 AM
meatball64
Tourer

Do a search on this. There are many people running high flow AC and free flow exhaust on there FI scoots and not having any problems at all.If your worried about it than add a set of XIED's for around a hundred dollars.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Krakanator
Tourer

Originally Posted by SauerKraut
I second that, lean = heat, and heat is bad in the engine. Don't listen to anyone but a licensed mechanic.
Let's be honest here. Just because they are a liscensed mechanic dosent mean that they know 100% of everything and that the lot of them is not without varying opinions. I had a tech tell me that I did not need to re-jet my carb after putting on an new ac, and I had other one tell me I needed to buy a 80 dollar kit with adjustable needles and all the bells and whistles when all I actually needed was a 2 dollar jet and a drill. Three mechanichs, three opinions.

Quick Reply: Fuelpak essential or not?