Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tips for first road trip please

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 PM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The throttle lock is easy to do. I just use my thumb to rotate the little multi-pointed star shaped wheel, counter-clockwise to make it put pressure on the throttle then the throttle will stay at the spot that it is at, but can be moved easily if needed. I find that while in traffic it is less effective as I will speed up or slow down to adjust to the flow of the traffic around me. If I am on the open road, then I find that the throttle lock can take some of the pressure off of my wrist as I don’t have to hold the throttle open, I can just hold on to the throttle. It is easy to release it as well. Just rotate the wheel clockwise and you can feel when the throttle has no pressure on it. It can be a handy little helper on the open road. I am leaving tonight from Redondo Beach, CA and heading up North on PCH. I am going to San Francisco, CA to bring in the New Year with some friends who live up there. Staying warm and dry and hydrated are important. Having the little woman behind you or in front of you is a pick ’um to me. Your call, really! The only problem with her in front is she may not know when you want to or need to stop for anything and she might be able to pick you out of the traffic if you get a head of her as well. Good luck and ride safe out there!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:43 PM
harley6six
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanabe
there's a stupid question- i assume that i would prefer to ride in front of her rather than behind her - agree? (if your wife is like mine, i dont trust her behind me!!)
LOL, almost fell outta the chair laughing reading that one and I can relate with you on that one. You may not trust her in front of you neither. If traffic builds up suddenly on you at least you can see your options better for possible escapes. Not so easy if following a higher profile vehicle. Just give yourself some more following distance with the car in front of you if she makes you a nervous.

As for that throttle lock, I'm with piginablanket, try to avoid it for this one. You'll have plenty of opportunities to use it later on longer rides once you get this 1st one tucked under your belt. Ultimately your call though.

Have a safe .

Don't forget to post up your pics when you get back!

Old 12-30-2009, 11:09 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on throttle lock,dont use it on your first road trip.you will get hurt for sure leave it alone for now.
i have a leaver type lock that i use on long trips.
i like to ride without no hands sometimes,bad habit from the old days,but i'am still livin
Ride Safe

Old 12-31-2009, 07:09 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seriously? You've owned the scoot for over a year, have ~4K on it, and you've never been on a ~200 mile trip or semi long freeway run. The others have pretty much stated everything you'd need, and then overkilled it for a ~200 mile run, (a tank & 1/2 of fuel). For a 200 miler, "I" wouldn't even wait or follow the wifey.....Just make sure you both have your cell phones, and if something arises, just give her a call to either catch up to you or for her to turn around to come to your location. Just get on & !

Old 01-01-2010, 08:12 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did it thanks to you guys!!

my report is at:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ity-today.html