Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tips for first road trip please

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:05 AM
2DEUCE2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on when you leave it could be a cold ride through some parts. Two weeks ago I rode my Street Glide from El Segundo (Home) to Goleta (Santa Barbara Airport) and back. I left at 0700 and I will tell you that it was F-ing cold! Especially through Ventura. I was so glad that I wore my gloves (I usally don't), some wool socks under my boots and a hoodie under my leather jacket. The only way I would have been more comfortable is if I were to have worn leather chaps, but I don't own any. I never thought I would ever have a use for them being in SoCal. I wear a 3/4 helmet so my face was a little cold too, but that doesn't get to me like my hands and feet.

I rode the freeways up and on the way back I cut off the 101 at Rice to the PCH through Pt. Mugu, Malibu and Santa Monica. That's one of my favorite rides. 220 miles round trip. Just watch your *** on the 405 and the 101 up to Ventura, after that it will be an enjoyable ride but you probably knew that already.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:14 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Wouldn't hurt to ride on a freeway some to get the feel of it.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:42 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master

I would just say: I am sooo jealous. Snow here up to my azz, wind blowing hard, windchill -22F. Have fun, be safe & ride !!!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Mandog
Road Master
Smile

Originally Posted by 2DEUCE2
Depending on when you leave it could be a cold ride through some parts. Two weeks ago I rode my Street Glide from El Segundo (Home) to Goleta (Santa Barbara Airport) and back. I left at 0700 and I will tell you that it was F-ing cold! Especially through Ventura. I was so glad that I wore my gloves (I usally don't), some wool socks under my boots and a hoodie under my leather jacket. The only way I would have been more comfortable is if I were to have worn leather chaps, but I don't own any. I never thought I would ever have a use for them being in SoCal. I wear a 3/4 helmet so my face was a little cold too, but that doesn't get to me like my hands and feet.

I rode the freeways up and on the way back I cut off the 101 at Rice to the PCH through Pt. Mugu, Malibu and Santa Monica. That's one of my favorite rides. 220 miles round trip. Just watch your *** on the 405 and the 101 up to Ventura, after that it will be an enjoyable ride but you probably knew that already.
You warm blooded guys just don't know the meaning of the word cold.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

As was said before...ride the speed you are comfortable with, however, if everyone is passing you....get off the flattop! You need to be on other roads! Never pass more people than you have passing you. (if you pass three there should be people driving faster and passing you).

Music, thru IPOD or other MP3 players will help.

Proper posture is key to comfort, don't slouch! If you feel like your posture is how a prude would look, then your posture is good.

Water...more than you think. When riding long distances, a 16 oz. bottle at least every hour. Maybe more.

No beer, no Jack or other liquor. No alcohol of any kind!

Take the flattop away from home, and then take regular roads home.

Don't drink alcohol.

Oh, if I forget, don't drink alcohol.

If you take the flattop first then side streets home, plane on 20 minutes versus 40 minutes. In other words, two hours on the freeway, will mean four hours on the backstreets.

Enjoy the scenery but don't forget...You are hurtling down the road fast enough to kill yourself!

Oh, before I forget, did I mention that you are going fast enough to kill yourself?

AND... above all else, have fun...but be safe!

Old 12-30-2009, 05:55 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

200 mile trip? Advice for that? Fill up the tank and have fun. I would stop between 125-150 miles for gas again just to get off the bike and have a stretch even though the bike should make it a lot farther on that custom tank. My 05 883C converted to a 1250 could go about 175 miles before hitting the reserve.
Seriously 200 miles ain't far at all. If you haven't changed the seat out though you will find out how crappy those stock seats are.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Nightster Ridester
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Tips.....
Gear Up
Wear Ear Plugs, helps with stamina
Watch Gas and fill-up earlier then usual
Don't Fall over!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

yup have a face shield and also an eye shield in my helmet... also have warm and "normal" gloves- will take both.

Originally Posted by harley6six
Hey Wanabe,
You should easily hit 160 miles on a tank of gas with that 4.5 gal tank of yours. I did a little loop on XMAS day and got to 110 miles (majority freeway) on my 3.3 before I finally filled up. Went from the South Bay (all freeways) up to Agoura, took Kanan Dune down to PCH and that back south and hopped back on the freeways to get home. If you do the freeways, I hope you have a helmet with a face shield, some of the gravel that occasionally gets kicked up can make your face thankful you did. A decent pair of warm gloves would be recommended. Just go your speed that makes you comfortable. As was already stated, keep alert and stay out of the blind spots. Sounds like you are going to have some fun, you're beginning to make me jealous right now as I write this. Ride safe man.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:02 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

wife gave me some riding pants for xmas (they will zip onto my padded jean jacket so i should have no unwanted airflow up the back) i have a neck warmer, warm gloves, ear plugs, and i dont have to carry anything cause she will be driving the van with me. will follow the water suggestion.
hey, there's a stupid question- i assume that i would prefer to ride in front of her rather than behind her - agree? (if your wife is like mine, i dont trust her behind me!!)

and another question- anyone use that "cruise control" (throttle lock)? i have tried it and it seems to take some getting used to- worthwhile on a road trip?

thank you to everyone for all the great tips- your excitement is making me want to get out and do the trip now !!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've never used that poor mans cruise control throttle lock on the bike and you shouldn't need to on a 200 mile ride. Don't worry it will go quicker than you think then in a couple months when it gets warmer you will be posting about a 400 mile ride then a 600 mile then a....

Quick Reply: tips for first road trip please