Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Deflection

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 02:32 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Belt Deflection

pulled my rear wheel yesterday and i'm worried i don't have the proper belt deflection after reinstall. i've tried to do this per manual specifications and can't find a happy medium. when i sit on the bike the belt gets looser and vice versa. even without sitting on the bike the belt seems more loose than before i removed it.

the manual says turn the axle tensioners an equal number of turns and that's it? well from what point? there seems to be way more thread on the adjusters sticking out now than before i removed the wheel and the belt seems looser. maybe a dumb question but anyone pull the rear wheel out there on an 08' that can offer any advice?

Old 12-24-2009, 04:30 PM
socaliron883
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

picture would help us diagnose the problem you might just need to put more tension on the belt with the adjusters it might look weird to you cuz your gettin nervous that you messed up might just be second guessing yourself

Old 12-24-2009, 05:05 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Trick #1 when you remove the rear wheel:
Mark the 2 tensioner nuts with a felt tip pen.
Loosen the 2 nuts the same number of turns (usually 12 turns will do)
When you reinstall the wheel, re-tighten the 2 nuts the same number of turns.

Trick #2 (it's close enough)
Fill a 1 gallon plastic water/milk jug with water.
Practice lifting the jug with the tip on your middle finger to get a feel for the pressure required to lift it.
Adjust the tensioners on the rear wheel until the same amount of upward finger pressure deflects the belt 1/4 inch. Check wheel alignment and adjust if necessary, then recheck belt tension as described above.

If you don't know how to check rear wheel alignment, see the Service Manual. If you don't have a Service Manual,,,,,, Good Luck.

Last edited by cHarley; 12-24-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:11 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by socaliron883
picture would help us diagnose the problem you might just need to put more tension on the belt with the adjusters it might look weird to you cuz your gettin nervous that you messed up might just be second guessing yourself
Is that one or more sentences or questions?

Old 12-24-2009, 06:11 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

this is what i use,to make sure belt tracks right.

Attached Thumbnails Belt Deflection-wheel-gauge-3-18-09-015.jpg   Belt Deflection-wheel-gauge-3-18-09-016.jpg  
Old 12-25-2009, 07:00 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cHarley
Trick #1 when you remove the rear wheel:
Mark the 2 tensioner nuts with a felt tip pen.
Loosen the 2 nuts the same number of turns (usually 12 turns will do)
When you reinstall the wheel, re-tighten the 2 nuts the same number of turns.

Trick #2 (it's close enough)
Fill a 1 gallon plastic water/milk jug with water.
Practice lifting the jug with the tip on your middle finger to get a feel for the pressure required to lift it.
Adjust the tensioners on the rear wheel until the same amount of upward finger pressure deflects the belt 1/4 inch. Check wheel alignment and adjust if necessary, then recheck belt tension as described above.

If you don't know how to check rear wheel alignment, see the Service Manual. If you don't have a Service Manual,,,,,, Good Luck.
thought about the trick #1 method after i was putting the wheel back on....DOH! trick #2 sounds like a good idea. i should have checked the tightness of the belt just to be sure before i pulled said wheel. the wheel alignment should be ok. spacers are in correctly on both sides it's just the belt tension itself. even though it seems a lil loose, do you think i'll be ok riding it to the shop once the weather brakes just to get their opinion? it's not loose to the point where it will fall off or anything. what do you think?

Old 12-25-2009, 07:05 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by socaliron883
i may be 2nd guessing myself, you're right. when i spin the rear wheel with the bike off the ground, belt attached and tightened it just sounds like it drags on the belt in a certain area. i do have the manual so i may have to back throught the belt deflection and read it more carefully.

when i originally installed the wheel back on, i had a friend pull the wheel back as far as it would go the i started to adjust the tensioners with the axle nut hand tight, once i thought i acheived the right tension i tightened the axle nut then snugged down the tensioners. i thought it was a bit too tight so i loosened it and now i think it's a bit too loose.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:17 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by bmxatv
thought about the trick #1 method after i was putting the wheel back on....DOH! trick #2 sounds like a good idea. i should have checked the tightness of the belt just to be sure before i pulled said wheel. the wheel alignment should be ok. spacers are in correctly on both sides it's just the belt tension itself. even though it seems a lil loose, do you think i'll be ok riding it to the shop once the weather brakes just to get their opinion? it's not loose to the point where it will fall off or anything. what do you think?
Wheel alignment is dependent on the 2 axle adjuster nuts. Tightening one more than the other will **** the wheel in the swingarm. Read the alignment procedure in the Service Manual.

The 2 axle adjuster nuts, control both the belt tension, and the rear wheel alignment.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:16 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cHarley
Wheel alignment is dependent on the 2 axle adjuster nuts. Tightening one more than the other will **** the wheel in the swingarm. Read the alignment procedure in the Service Manual.

The 2 axle adjuster nuts, control both the belt tension, and the rear wheel alignment.
thank you Charley that makes more sense now. the description and procedure in the manual seems a little vague that's all. the problem i have is the left side tensioner has always had more thread exposed than the right so it's weird trying to tell where to start counting the equal number of turns from (shoulda marked that thread, fvck!). i'm thinking maybe just get it snug on both sides then start counting? should i be pulling the wheel back in the axle as far as possible before i start tightening down the tensioners? thanks again man and have a safe and happy holiday!

Old 12-25-2009, 10:08 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by bmxatv
thank you Charley that makes more sense now. the description and procedure in the manual seems a little vague that's all. the problem i have is the left side tensioner has always had more thread exposed than the right so it's weird trying to tell where to start counting the equal number of turns from (shoulda marked that thread, fvck!). i'm thinking maybe just get it snug on both sides then start counting? should i be pulling the wheel back in the axle as far as possible before i start tightening down the tensioners? thanks again man and have a safe and happy holiday!
My "shortcut" procedure of counting turns on the adjusters assumes that the belt tension and wheel alignment were correct, prior to removing the wheel. At this point, the shortcuts are not going to work for you and you'll need to actually do the proscribed alignment & belt tension procedures. I recommend you get the belt tension "in the neighborhood", then do the alignment, then go back and check/adjust the tension making equal adjustments on both of the tensioner nuts. The number of exposed thread on the tensioner bolts should be close to the same if everything is aligned.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Belt Deflection