Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:56 PM
notorious
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carb help

Check the vaccum hose on the right side of the tank. You should not be able to suck on it and get fuel. If you do the diaphram in the fuel petcock is bad. The mixture should be around 2-1/2 out. Start the engine and set the idle with the cruise control. Turn in the mixture to close(very lightly) then turn out 2 and a half. Release the cruise and set the idle to 1000. Slowly turn the mixture in till the engine starts to stumble then back one half. That should be close. Then reset your idle. What do your plugs look like? This problem sounds more like a periperal issue than the carb if it ran well at one time.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Sally88
Advanced

"Check the vaccum hose on the right side of the tank. You should not be able to suck on it and get fuel. If you do the diaphram in the fuel petcock is bad."

The vaccum hose for emissions? The rubber gaskest in the petcock where the tube sticks in from the tank is crinkled up on 2 edges. Perhaps I should get a new petcock and see if this helps? I blew through it pretty hard to make sure it wasn't blocked, maybe I damaged it?

What do you mean by periperal?

Old 07-17-2006, 06:21 PM
notorious
Road Captain

Periperal, other things assoiated with (the carb) hose routing, kinking, spliting, etc. Go into the tech area and look at the picture of the carb and it's components just to match up stuff. I bet it is something small that is the problem.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:02 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to replace the fuel valve, go to your local bike shop if you have one and get a fuel valve that doesn't have the vacuum connection on the back. When you install this valve, you can put a small screw with silicone in the old vacuum hose to plug it. When you install this type of valve, in the on or reserve position, fuel will flow through the valve regardless of whether the engine is running or not. By putting this type of valve on the tank, you will be able to tell if you are getting fuel through the fuel valve. If you are, then you've eliminated one of your potential problems. Remember that with this type of valve, when you park your bike, make sure you shut off the fuel vavle. A good idea regardless of the type of valve you have.

Before you replace the fuel valve, you might consider pulling the old one and cleaning out the filter. You may have some tank demons in the filter which would restrict the flow of fuel when you pull higher RPM's.

Have you removed the bowl on your carburator? If not, take it off and make sure there's no gunk in the bowl and the needle valve is clear.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Sally88
Advanced

Is the thing that sticks out of the gas tank when the petcock is removed the filter? Do I just pull it out? The more I think about it, it does seem when I try to give it gas it starves it as opposed to trying to flood it. The tank dropped off the bike and got scratched, and in my anger of it getting damaged I set it in the grass. I found debris in the petcock, it could be elsewhere too. I don't thing it got in the carb though. When the petcock was blocked, no gas could get through to push it in there.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:56 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

I'm not totally sure about your year model bike but most have a filter (screen) that is a part of the fuel valve and sticks up in the tank. If the bike ran fine before you pulled the tank, I truly believe your problem is that there is some crud in the fuel system somewhere. The best approach is to start at the tank and work forward. The process of elimination will identify your problem. It it were me, I would pull the carb, clean out the bowl and needle valve and give the whole thing a good spraying with Berryman's carb cleaner. Also, pull the fuel lines and give them a good cleaning.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Sally88
Advanced

I cleaned out the bowl, how do I clean the needls valve?

Old 07-18-2006, 02:11 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

The needle valve is in the bowl. If you got the bowl, you got the needle valve. Did you notice any gunk in the bowl?

Old 07-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Sally88
Advanced

no gunk. Is the needle valve the one that squirts gas in the chamber when you give it gas?

Old 07-18-2006, 05:44 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

Should be attached to the float in the bowl. It's what stops the flow of fuel to the bowl. Probably a small brass part with a rubber looking pointed bottom.

Quick Reply: Carb help