Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? About Mod'n Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:27 AM
Nightster Ridester
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ? About Mod'n Air Filter

Hey guys, today I was messin around with my Air Filter Ham Cover and thought I'd try something. What I did was basically Remove the whole Ham Cover (Front and Back) and just bolt the Filter straight to the intake like it sits normally. I tightened the 3 bolts down tighter so the Filter sits flush now to the intake and takes up the gap that the back of the Ham Cover usually fills. Is this okay or will it hurt my engine later down the road? Not to knowledgable about this kinda thing but I searched around and some guys talkin about Crank case breathers,hoses,plumbing and oil drips etc. Was wondering about that cause none of that comes on it stock so why would you need to "Plumb" the Air Filter set-up?

Last edited by Nightster Ridester; 12-20-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:25 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default filter

I did the same experement and my only concern was the round plastic tube that then squeazes up against the carb intake.I wasn't to happy with the fit and decided if i'm going to do it i would have to make a sleave to make sure the fit is airtight,you don't want some forign matter squeezing past ointo the carb.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

The breather is on there stock. The top left and right mounting bolts are hollow and vent crankcase pressure and some oil back into the filter and theoretically back into the engine. If you kept the stock backing plate the breather system should still be operating properly.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:30 PM
67bullitt
Cruiser

I put a scream eagle intake on my 1200, and the stock air cover fits on but there is a open gap around the entire cover to let more air in. The air filter does seal tighltly against the back plate to ensure no dirt gets in. I think this is what you are triing to do get more air to the engine. I have seen the se air intakes on ebay for about $50.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:25 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

I have the SE intake on my bike. I bought a K&N filter and ditched the ham can. I got a flat cover that i modified and everything is sealed tight.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Badass67stang
Cruiser

DallasSportster that covers freakin bad ***!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Nightster Ridester
Tourer

Originally Posted by DallasSportster

I have the SE intake on my bike. I bought a K&N filter and ditched the ham can. I got a flat cover that i modified and everything is sealed tight.
Nice filter and all but sorry dude, that has nothin to do with this threads starting question, I asked specific questions about my intake and how it works with the plumbing and gasket and the blow off valves and such, not "Let me see what you did with yours"
Not tryin to be a d*ck but I hate when threads get posts that does not help the original poster and then people get sidetracked because of something that is not what it was dealing with to begin with and then its a thread that could be good for future searchs and its ruined
BTW cool idea tho

Last edited by Nightster Ridester; 12-20-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:26 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Nightster Ridester
Nice filter and all but sorry dude, that has nothin to do with this threads starting question, I asked specific questions about my intake and how it works with the plumbing and gasket and the blow off valves and such, not "Let me see what you did with yours"
Not tryin to be a d*ck but I hate when threads get posts that does not help the original poster and then people get sidetracked because of something that is not what it was dealing with to begin with and then its a thread that could be good for future searchs and its ruined
BTW cool idea tho
To answer your specific question the breathers are built into the intake. There is no need for extra plumbing if you stick with the stock or SE intake. If you got the stock setup to seal tight then you should be fine. I was not trying to show what I have, just trying to point out that if you went with the SE intake as someone else suggested you can get a tight seal on the back plate without the ham can.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Nightster Ridester
Tourer

Cool man that actually has been the clearest answer I have gotten, thanks! And like I said, not tryin to be douche, but I just hate when I actually use the search button and 98% of the threads I look through are cluttered with useless pics or hey bro whats up? or hey your bikes cool, tell me about it....but like I said Thanks!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 10:19 PM
67bullitt
Cruiser
Default Sorry, jacked your thread!

Hey Nightster, sorry we jacked your thread. Dallas, where did you get your flat cover for the k&n filter? That does look killer, I know you customized it, but I want just the plain flat cover. The se back plate kit provides breather tubes that fit behind the air filter. Maybe we can still get a little bit of useful information from this thread.

Quick Reply: ? About Mod'n Air Filter