Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a "Factory Custom"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009 | 05:58 PM
goinsideways136
|
Road Captain
Default What is a "Factory Custom"? It is not custom!!!!

What I do not understand why people call their bikes "custom" when they can buy the bike from the factory. That means some Joe Schmoe in another dealership has the same exact bike that is "custom"...WTF! Just to clarify, your bike is not custom unless YOU or somebody that knows what they are doing modifies and customizes the bike. I'm not claiming mine is a custom bike at all. Its a stripped down sportster. Now why is everyone these days calling their bikes custom?!!!

Last edited by goinsideways136; 12-18-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2009 | 06:40 PM
kahaone
Road Master

It's the same thing with Fords. Everyone who has a Ford, calls it a Ford. I mean heck, just because that is the name that the factory gave it, doesn't mean they have to call it that.

I think I'll start calling my Sportster a "Blue thing on 2 wheels" so I don't offend anyone.

What do you propose these people call their Sportsters with the designation of Custom from the factoy? The people who bought it, didn't name it.

It's great that you, and others have the skills, time, money, or whatever to make it different. But many others don't, so they have a bike called a "custom" from the factory. It doesn't bother me. Does it really bother you enough that you need to start a thread to bash those with a Sportster Custom?

I do usually value your opinion. But in this case.....maybe it is you that should

Old 12-18-2009 | 06:44 PM
Cpitch
Road Master

Originally Posted by goinsideways136
What I do not understand why people call their bikes "custom" when they can buy the bike from the factory. That means some Joe Schmoe in another dealership has the same exact bike that is "custom"...WTF! Just to clarify, your bike is not custom unless YOU or somebody that knows what they are doing modifies and customizes the bike. I'm not claiming mine is a custom bike at all. Its a stripped down sportster. Now why is everyone these days calling their bikes custom?!!!

dude...if the bike is called a sportster custom by harley...whats the f*cking problem?

if your not smart enough to know the people just dont call their bikes custome you shouldnt post

Old 12-18-2009 | 06:45 PM
goinsideways136
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kahaone
It's the same thing with Fords. Everyone who has a Ford, calls it a Ford. I mean heck, just because that is the name that the factory gave it, doesn't mean they have to call it that.

I think I'll start calling my Sportster a "Blue thing on 2 wheels" so I don't offend anyone.

What do you propose these people call their Sportsters with the designation of Custom from the factoy? The people who bought it, didn't name it.

It's great that you, and others have the skills, time, money, or whatever to make it different. But many others don't, so they have a bike called a "custom" from the factory. It doesn't bother me. Does it really bother you enough that you need to start a thread to bash those with a Sportster Custom?

I do usually value your opinion. But in this case.....maybe it is you that should

hmmm, I should clarify. I am not talking about the model like the 1200C custom. I'm talking about people who tell me they have a Harley 1200 Sportster Nightster Dark Custom. Mostly the people who get the special models like the CVOs that brag to me about all the money they spent and how custom it is. Hopefully that helps clear that up...

Last edited by goinsideways136; 12-18-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2009 | 06:48 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes that clears it up cause when I bought my Sportster it was called a 1200C Custom by the MoCo. I had nothing to do with that except fork over the cash to buy it...lol.

Old 12-18-2009 | 07:32 PM
crobinson1324
Advanced

well just my 2 cents... i think that anyone who does anything different to their bike even if its as simple as different bulbs or lens covers can call their bikes custom. dosent really matter to me if they did it, someone else did it, if it cut, if its chopped, just as long as they are out riding. i will however give the biggest props to the guys who do actually have custom bikes built from frame up or those who have the ***** to cut up there factory bikes. i say to each his own and god bless anyone on two wheels.

Old 12-18-2009 | 07:41 PM
Topdogg
Cruiser

So how much do you have to modify your bike to call it a custom?

Old 12-18-2009 | 07:43 PM
oinker02
Banned

I dunno bout your scoots, but I do know I'm a full custom....Ain't nobody looks, acts thinks, farks, chits, eats or lives like me......Yup, I'm fersure a custom model.

LAWD!, I'm thinking some of us here are suffering cabin fever already....Man, it's only December! This is going to be a long winter.......................................

Old 12-18-2009 | 07:53 PM
67bullitt
Cruiser
Default Oinker, post a recent pic, so we can check out your custom.

Post a recent pic, so I can try and customize mine. Maybe I can steal some of your custom ideas.

Old 12-18-2009 | 07:59 PM
davescreation
Tourer

hey i might be out ofplace here seeing as how i got a "custom" dyna but it came from the factory in 08 looking like all the other 08 street bobs. i had stuff removed had stuff put on had stuff painted had somthings changed. its slowly being customized to my liking differing from what it looked like from the factory. thats what makes it custom

Quick Reply: What is a "Factory Custom"?