Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a "Factory Custom"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009 | 01:40 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member

Shucks thanks guys..
OP I understood exactly what you were saying.. My point partly was what the heck does it matter if people call their bike a custom. For some bikes custom is part of the name given by the factory. And for me since I do not have the tools or the talent for wrenching adding those pieces onto a bike would have cost more. For some it is what they have done to their bikes. For some they have the money or the talent to build a bike from scratch. Frankly the word custom applies for each of these but in very different ways.

My outlook if it makes someone happy great.

Old 12-19-2009 | 02:57 PM
goinsideways136
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SpoilSport
This is an old argument.

Just bringing up a one of a kind fabricated scoot vs. something that is mass produced. Big Dogs and Big Bear Choppers for example are considered custom cycles ... yet considering the model they are pretty much built the same with different paint schemes. They all use parts installed from the same after market companies that we can buy from.

If you go to a local bike show you see the same Big Dog or Big Bear that can be purchased from a custom bike dealer entered into a local show. Hell some people just buy a "custom" scoot from the dealer and enter them into a show without doing any further mods to them. Some of the owners look like they just came from the show room floor and left the price tags on their bikes.

That's a good question though as to how much modifications one must do to consider their bike a custom. In this era of prefabricated parts nothing is really original. The builders who fabricate their own parts are the true craftsman, as anybody can go out and buy parts and put something together.

Cheers
Exactly. Thank you

Old 12-19-2009 | 03:56 PM
kahaone
Road Master

So, how many of the posters in this thread have a "one of a kind fabricated scoot"? Most likely it is a very small number. So, I guess that means that none of our bikes are custom, or customized?

But just so I don't offend anyone, what should I call my bike in the future?

Old 12-19-2009 | 04:10 PM
goinsideways136
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kahaone
So, how many of the posters in this thread have a "one of a kind fabricated scoot"? Most likely it is a very small number. So, I guess that means that none of our bikes are custom, or customized?

I would say your bike is a custom chopper. You started with a stock frame had it chopped and raked. You have a 250 rear wheel. Yours is one of the most custom jobs on here. I'm not trying to raise hell about the "custom" designated sportster just the local yuppies around here that win a bike show with a complete stock bike while I have tons of hours and hard work chopping, painting, and being creative. Thats why I'm pissed.

Old 12-19-2009 | 04:34 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by kahaone

I think your bike is hot..

Old 12-19-2009 | 04:50 PM
agedwards63
Road Master

Choppers Stink, Chopper People are all A**holes there I said it

Old 12-19-2009 | 05:30 PM
FandA M
Road Captain

Originally Posted by goinsideways136
I would say your bike is a custom chopper. You started with a stock frame had it chopped and raked. You have a 250 rear wheel. Yours is one of the most custom jobs on here. I'm not trying to raise hell about the "custom" designated sportster just the local yuppies around here that win a bike show with a complete stock bike while I have tons of hours and hard work chopping, painting, and being creative. Thats why I'm pissed.
Pissed? what? you want a medal?.............There are ALOT of people doing the same thing out there and have been for a long time.Some go along quietly and enjoy what they do,do it for themselves and it usually shows,and some have something to prove or need an "attaboy".If your looking to win a bike show or get attention your in it for all the wrong reasons.As a matter of fact this thread seems like your looking for attention.Don't get hung up on lables.Do what you do and don't worry about anyone else.
I couldn't give a fk what anyone rides or calls their bike..............or my bike
I have my bike for one purpose.....to ride it

Attached Thumbnails What is a "Factory Custom"?-1215091416a.jpg  
Old 12-19-2009 | 06:09 PM
kahaone
Road Master

Originally Posted by goinsideways136
just the local yuppies around here that win a bike show with a complete stock bike while I have tons of hours and hard work chopping, painting, and being creative. Thats why I'm pissed.
Truthfully, I have just been busting chops a bit here.
I do know what you mean when you try to compare your bike against a $30,000 chopper. But hey, we've got a lot less $$ in ours, than they have in theirs! And you have more time in your bike than most other people here. And it shows too. I personally liked it better with that sick exhaust you had before....but hey, it's still all good.
But seriously, don't worry about the yuppies....you got a cool ride. Just be proud of it, and don't sweat their big buck choppers. It's apples to oranges buddy!

Old 12-19-2009 | 08:13 PM
goinsideways136
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FandA M
Pissed? what? you want a medal?.............There are ALOT of people doing the same thing out there and have been for a long time.Some go along quietly and enjoy what they do,do it for themselves and it usually shows,and some have something to prove or need an "attaboy".If your looking to win a bike show or get attention your in it for all the wrong reasons.As a matter of fact this thread seems like your looking for attention.Don't get hung up on lables.Do what you do and don't worry about anyone else.
I couldn't give a fk what anyone rides or calls their bike..............or my bike
I have my bike for one purpose.....to ride it
I wasnt looking for attention, I was venting on the local tools where I live. I dont get hung up on lables as I really do not care...I just dont like dueshebags bragging about their super custom stock bike. If you knew me better on this forum you would understand where I'm coming from.

Old 12-19-2009 | 11:14 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

hey goingsideways.. I guess that your original post wasn't specific enough about the issue with the mostly idiotic "Custom" chopper riders around town (I know them really well, I live in South Beach FL)... those "bikers" and their expensive choppers only used on Sundays to ride to the local hot spot for "Brunch" ( Brunch?? what the hell???.. real bikers don't do "Brunch"!!!) .... the same posers who look down on you each time you pull next to them at the traffic light.. the same brainless arrogant bitches who never ever stop by your scooter at a biker gathering to ask you about how you modified your ride.. why? because in their peanut sized, arthritic brains they believe are in touch with some mythical biker god, who granted them Demigod status ... heck... they can spend their entire Sunday sipping organic iced tea in the Cabana... I'll be riding with my buddies...

I guess the more we modify our bikes, the more custom they are... mine became "custom by accident" when my rear fender went flying on the highway (I was rushing to get on the road and forgot to tighten the screws)

Hey Liz.. are you single?... :-)

Quick Reply: What is a "Factory Custom"?