Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a "Factory Custom"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009 | 12:55 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member

I got a 883C because it fit better than 883L or other 883s. I would not have cared if they called it the 883 bumble bee. I liked the bigger tank , and forward controls..So that is why I got a custom not because it was named custom.

Old 12-19-2009 | 01:53 AM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by lizdc
I got a 883C because it fit better than 883L or other 883s. I would not have cared if they called it the 883 bumble bee. I liked the bigger tank , and forward controls..So that is why I got a custom not because it was named custom.
Damnitttttttt! You are a good lookin bitch!

You got a sweet scoot too, and a tude all girls should tote.

Just sayin............

Old 12-19-2009 | 03:23 AM
goinsideways136
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lizdc
obviously you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Old 12-19-2009 | 04:27 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

I think I understand what you're getting at. Cut = custom. But the Nightster Darkside Custom (or whatever they're calling it) is just the model name they were told. They just feel better saying it I guess.

I had a pimped out Buick Regal back in the day. It was a "limited" but it sure as hell was not limited in production...but I still called it Limited lol.

Old 12-19-2009 | 04:56 AM
1200efi
Tourer
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by oinker02
Damnitttttttt! You are a good lookin bitch!

You got a sweet scoot too, and a tude all girls should tote.

Just sayin............
++++1 I would put my rear pegs down for her.

Old 12-19-2009 | 05:05 AM
SpoilSport
Outstanding HDF Member

This is an old argument.

Just bringing up a one of a kind fabricated scoot vs. something that is mass produced. Big Dogs and Big Bear Choppers for example are considered custom cycles ... yet considering the model they are pretty much built the same with different paint schemes. They all use parts installed from the same after market companies that we can buy from.

If you go to a local bike show you see the same Big Dog or Big Bear that can be purchased from a custom bike dealer entered into a local show. Hell some people just buy a "custom" scoot from the dealer and enter them into a show without doing any further mods to them. Some of the owners look like they just came from the show room floor and left the price tags on their bikes.

That's a good question though as to how much modifications one must do to consider their bike a custom. In this era of prefabricated parts nothing is really original. The builders who fabricate their own parts are the true craftsman, as anybody can go out and buy parts and put something together.

Cheers

Old 12-19-2009 | 07:39 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member

meh, if calling it a custom gets you out on the road so be it

Old 12-19-2009 | 08:24 AM
JustJump
Cruiser

Maybe we can all agree on this that I culled off the interweb:

A custom motorcycle is a motorcycle that is highly stylized or which treats aspects such as frame geometry or engine design in an unusual way compared to standard manufacturing. Custom motorcycles are unique or individually produced in a very limited quantity, as opposed to "stock" bikes or "stockers," which are mass produced.
Some motorcycle manufacturers, such as Harley-Davidson and Honda, include the word "custom" as part of a model name. If capitalized, "Custom" does not denote a custom motorcycle as described above; rather, it is part of the model name of a mass-produced motorcycle.
"Factory customs" typically do not offer the total individuality of a home built bike or a "one off custom".

Sounds about right to me.

Old 12-19-2009 | 09:58 AM
wingman1946
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oinker02
Yep, but the guys who buy CVO's are laffable....They pay huge over stock MSRP for something they didn't themself produce. From there they tool around sayin "Hey, look at me". Sorry, but I ain't impressed. The CVO scoot makes only one statement to me, it says "I paid too much for something I can't do myself in hopes I might look like you."

To me, a CVO "Custom" is the most sincere form of flattery any real biker/modder might hope to see.
Maybe they aren't trying to look like anybody, maybe they just liked the way the CVO looked and bought it. Myself I just buy em and ride em. Don't give a rip what you ride or how it got that way.

Old 12-19-2009 | 10:19 AM
lucky chuckie
Tourer

Custom Vehicle Operations (WoW) Yea, they did it all. You can do it yourself, but by the time you buy all the tools, the chrome, the bigger badder stuff, and the blingage you'll have the same thing in your bike. So, call your bike a custom. Mine is not a custom. But it sure is pretty and handles like it's a custom. Indian Larry built customs. But, I'm happy with my Harley Custom. There are tons of little things on there you can't get unless you buy with the CVO badge. Call me what you want. My bike is a custom. Thank you CVO. Of course there are a ton of bikes out there that would blow mine away. I like them too. I worked just as hard to get my bike but I didn't bust my knuckles getting it. If you show me another bike on the planet exactly like mine, I'll kiss your butt. But if you can't...

Quick Reply: What is a "Factory Custom"?