Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a "Factory Custom"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009 | 08:14 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

i wana play in this sandbox!

custom means different things to each of us... my bike isnt chopped, and its got stock innards- other than the fuel management, but its been "fixed up" the way i like it and its my baby. so my interpretation of a modern custom sportster:

Old 12-18-2009 | 08:25 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain

Originally Posted by oinker02
I dunno bout your scoots, but I do know I'm a full custom....Ain't nobody looks, acts thinks, farks, chits, eats or lives like me......Yup, I'm fersure a custom model.

LAWD!, I'm thinking some of us here are suffering cabin fever already....Man, it's only December! This is going to be a long winter.......................................
LMFAO!

Old 12-18-2009 | 08:26 PM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by 67bullitt
Post a recent pic, so I can try and customize mine. Maybe I can steal some of your custom ideas.
man I gave up trying to post pics on this forum when they changed the software about two years ago.....go here to my Myspace page albums and you can see my scooters as they were recently....They are always being modded so the pics aren't quite up to date:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ndID=498203160

Old 12-18-2009 | 08:27 PM
pugster
Intermediate

i geuss i would say the factory called them dark custom becouse it was a different approch to a new line. if u have a sporster that was all white then u paited it black with dark parts on it then it would b cool if you called ot dark custom i bet.its just a custom look that hd started. if u buy a plain dyna n put some crome a new seat forward controls on it u would call it custom becouse u did it. or u could just buy the dyna custom and bam you can call it the same thing becouse someone else who nows what their doing did it for u like you explained.

Old 12-18-2009 | 09:07 PM
oinker02
Banned

My first exwife went and got herself plastic **** and dyed her hair blonde....I'd guess you could call her a custom now, but trust me, she's a bad ride.

Old 12-18-2009 | 09:45 PM
davescreation
Tourer

Originally Posted by oinker02
My first exwife went and got herself plastic **** and dyed her hair blonde....I'd guess you could call her a custom now, but trust me, she's a bad ride.
like my dad allways said why go stock when you can go custom

Old 12-18-2009 | 09:51 PM
kahaone
Road Master

Originally Posted by goinsideways136
hmmm, I should clarify. I am not talking about the model like the 1200C custom. I'm talking about people who tell me they have a Harley 1200 Sportster Nightster Dark Custom. Mostly the people who get the special models like the CVOs that brag to me about all the money they spent and how custom it is. Hopefully that helps clear that up...
Doesn't really clear much up. The Nightster is included in the Harley Davidson Dark Custom line. The buyer didn't make that up, Harley did.
So, if someone tells you they have a 1200 Harley Nightster Dark Custom....well....they do.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...stom_bikes.jsp

By the way, you should submit your bike to this webpage.

Old 12-18-2009 | 10:07 PM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by kahaone
Doesn't really clear much up. The Nightster is included in the Harley Davidson Dark Custom line. The buyer didn't make that up, Harley did.
So, if someone tells you they have a 1200 Harley Nightster Dark Custom....well....they do.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...stom_bikes.jsp

By the way, you should submit your bike to this webpage.
I agree...Goinsideways has a fine scooter that he built himself then rode all the way from Alaska to Co! Hope you find his post here that describes his epic ride.

Old 12-18-2009 | 11:39 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member

is it really that hard to understand ?
HD makes a standard bike . then they make the same bike with a few changes to it and they call it a factory custom .

they've been doing that ever since they built the first superglide using the frame and motor from an electraglide and the front end off a sportster (more or less)

it's just marketing

Old 12-19-2009 | 12:27 AM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by not_so_newb
is it really that hard to understand ?
HD makes a standard bike . then they make the same bike with a few changes to it and they call it a factory custom .

they've been doing that ever since they built the first superglide using the frame and motor from an electraglide and the front end off a sportster (more or less)

it's just marketing
Yep, but the guys who buy CVO's are laffable....They pay huge over stock MSRP for something they didn't themself produce. From there they tool around sayin "Hey, look at me". Sorry, but I ain't impressed. The CVO scoot makes only one statement to me, it says "I paid too much for something I can't do myself in hopes I might look like you."

To me, a CVO "Custom" is the most sincere form of flattery any real biker/modder might hope to see.

Quick Reply: What is a "Factory Custom"?