Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? 883C bad first bike? Am I missing something

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:37 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Liz, ironically I hauled a bike identical to yours home for a friend yesterday in all that horrible weather. His wife won it in a raffle, he has no motorcycle endorsement so I took him to Colonial Harley in Chester, Va and brought it back to Tappahannock, Va in my trailer. It was snowing by the time I got back home. A Sportster is an excellent first bike. Here is mine that my friends have dubbed the "75% sized Bagger."

Attached Thumbnails ? 883C bad first bike? Am I missing something-bagger-002-small-.jpg  
Old 12-06-2009, 12:22 PM
doorgunnerjgs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you, Liz. I haven't had a bike in 45 years, so the new '09 Sportster Custom that i bought in August might as well have been my first bike. I love it and I too managed to put the Buel down, unfortunately it was during my drivers test for the state. I got irritated in the weave when I missed a cone, gave it too much gas, then hit the brake a little too hard in the turn. I went back in two weeks and aced the test on my 883C! I now have over 1200 miles on the bike and have loved every one of them. Glad you like yours as much as I do mine.

Ride safe!

Old 12-07-2009, 10:12 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

My 04 883 custom is a great bike! I had an old 82 KZ750 which I loved but found it needed lots of tlc. I sold it and bought the Harley. Great move on my part. I am 6ft 1", my wife is 5' 1" and we drive 2 up all the time. Luggage and all!!!!!

Old 12-07-2009, 07:04 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I do hope that some people who were reading all the threads telling them not to get a sportster as a first bike hear that isn't the case for everyone.
I would go as far as to say if I can drive that most can too.
I also don't think that everyone will want a bigger bike in a year. I would be surprised if I wanted a bigger bike in a year. I think the sportster is plenty bike for me. I am not a fan of big cars always. In fact I think the sportster might be bigger than my car which is a 2009 yaris 5 door aka hatchback (size of a mini but cheaper) which is referred to as my wind up toy by biker friend of mine (feel free to laugh- but I live next to DC and I can park the thing anywhere).

But I think the sportster for me is a great first bike. She handles like a dream. Plus she sure is pretty and if you can fall in love with a bike I am there.

I have seen many of you joking that your wives/ girlfriends get jealous of your bike. Well good thing I am single or I would have a grumpy jealous guy. Already hearing it from my 7 year old son. Who loves the bike but realizes mommy really loves the bike. He ask me if we should get a xmas stocking for it. I said the bike will get presents but the bike was mommies xmas present to herself. Best thing about being single I didn't have to "discuss" aka get permission to buy the thing I have lusted over since I was 13.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:41 PM
medic2931
Tourer

Gifts for the bike! I know all about that. I also know what you mean about the size of the bike. I don't want a bigger bike, just a bigger engine. Hope to go up to the 1250 kit in a year. A 6 speed would be nice too.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:49 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Merry X-mas to you, your son and your bike. Sounds like the 3 of you'll have a good one.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Julio13
Advanced
Default 2009 Sportser 1200C Custom

Congratulations great ride, ride safe! LOVE IT !! Here is mine

Old 12-08-2009, 09:24 AM
helluvanangel
Cruiser

Hey Liz,
I'm with you. I got MC endorsement in May and my first bike in June, a 2009 883C, and I love it. I heard all about why I should'nt get it as a first bike but I have no regrets. Have fun and enjoy the ride. It's cold here in Connecticut too.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:33 AM
mbwannabe1
Tourer

Some people are smart, skilled, or careful enough that a Sportster is a fine choice for a first bike. Once you get up to speed, there's nothing wrong with a Sportster as a starter bike.

The advantage to a smaller bike is at low speeds, where a novice rider can let a bike get off balance and try to muscle it back up after instinctively putting a foot down. I'd rather do that with a 250 pound trainer instad of a 650 pound Sportster. You learn not to do that after the first couple of suprises, so I'd even go so far as to say you'd outgrow the starter bike after your first summer unless you NEVER get on the highway.

As far as wanting something bigger than the Sportster in a year, it depends on what kind of riding you will be doing. Most of my riding is daily commuting or just wandering around for the evening, and the Sportster was perfect for that. It wouldn't have been nearly so much fun on the back roads or in town on a Road King.

I rode my 883 Sportster on a couple of +1000 mile weekends too, stuffing my overnight gear in duffel bags stacked on the seat behind me. I wished for another gear and lower RPM, but not so much that I wanted to trade up. If my wife had wanted to go too, the Sporty wouldn't have worked.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:41 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master

Congratulations on your Sportster. They are great bikes. I am certainly not one of those people who would recommend something like a Vulcan 500 (because I think it is much too fast for most beginners). Nor would I recommend a Sportster to beginners. But, if it works for you then nothing succeeds like success.

Ride on and smile.

Quick Reply: ? 883C bad first bike? Am I missing something