Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much front vibration is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:32 PM
TexasBikeBoy
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How much front vibration is normal?

Ok so I have been fighting with vibration in my front end since I bought this bike. It has been dropped a couple of times before I bought it. It vibrates quite a bit during acceleration only. I have done the following to it:

replaced the front wheel as the original was slightly bent.
changed my triple tree's the top tree was slightly bent.
tightened my front motor mount as it was a little loose.

still getting the vibration in the front when I accelerate. It is much better than it was when I first bought it but the vibration still seems like it is more than it should be. First harley I have ever owned so what do you guys think? How much vibration do you get on your rubber mounted sporty's?
When I say vibration I don't mean in my handle grips or feet but the entire front end shaking. Also it doesn't vibrate at higher speeds say from 60 up and it seems to come and go at times. Sometimes I may take a small 10 minute trip and rides nice and smooth and then other times it has this shaking in the whole front end.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What year bike? If it is 03 or older it is probably just normal shakin.

Bwana

Old 12-03-2009, 10:53 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

04 saw the rubber engine mounts which helped with engine vibration a lot. I still see some but it's due mostly to not being in the right gear for my speed.

You say the vibration is coming from the front end though so that probably is not your issue. With what you have done already, and it still vibrates, I would take it in to have it looked at.

By the way, I have zero vibration coming from the front end.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:59 AM
hollywood1959
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just need more vodka. Remember, this is a Milwaukee vibrator. It's why the girl's love them so much. At idle, my 2007 883 you can't see out the mirrors to save your ***. It's just normal for that type of engine. You said the bike was dropped more than once. Find a bro with a bike like yours and ask if you could take it for a ride and see what you get. I tend to think this is normal. Hit it back if you still have a problem with this. Best of luck, HOLLYWOOD........................ P.S. check the triple clamps, make sure the bearings are set right. IE (loose).

Last edited by hollywood1959; 12-04-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:01 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Without the basic info, like year, model & mileage, you're asking people to do alot of guessing.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:45 AM
1lowsporty
Cruiser

Couple things to check. First when cruising down the highway,pull the clutch in. This will eliminate if it is engine vibration. Next easy thing is tires. If you replaced a bent wheel,you should have purchased a new tire as well due to cords that can get damaged. If it bent the metal rim,you had a hard enough impact to do this.. next jack the bike up,make sure the forks are installed even into the top of the triple trees. Whilt ther check the bearings as mentioned. Also spin the front wheel and check the drag on your brakes. If the axel was not installed and tightened in the correct order you can warp the rotor and get vibration. Last don't forget to check the rear of the bike as well. Back tire could be bad causing bike to shake.good luck

Old 12-04-2009, 06:10 PM
TexasBikeBoy
Cruiser

ok sorry guys bike is a 2007 xl1200n and has 12k miles. I have pulled the clutch in while riding and no vibration. It is only when I give it gas. It is a different tire as well on the front. I did the tree's myself and the forks are even and they are not bent. Bearings are good as they were replaced as well. No drag on the front wheel either. Do not see anything wrong with the back tire but it will be changed soon anyway as I have some brand new whitewalls here that will be going on. As far as setting the bearings on the triple clamps as stated by hollywood not sure how to do that? They only go in one way unless you are talking about the nut on the top tree? One other thing I can minimize the vibration by accelerating slowly which makes me think it is the engine or something unrelated to the front end anyway.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:15 PM
bunny32
1st Gear

Had a similar problem with my 04 883C. Eventually cured it by doing the following trouble-shooting sequence.
1/ R/R front tyre and tube to replace tube (contained tyre sealant).
2/ Then balanced front wheel.
3/ Next did a string-line check on wheel and frame alignment.
4/ Next added bar weights 120gm.
5/ Next added a fork brace.
6/ Finally changed fork oil to heavier grade and shimmed up fork springs.

Step 6/ was the cure. The weight distribution on a sportster is asymmetric with only a third on the front wheel. When you accelerate or even under some wind and/or road conditions, the front end can lift and do what I can best describe as a "shimmy". It's not an out and out "tank-slapper" as you say, but still enough of a head-shaking to cause worry. My 883C has never shaken it's head since. Rex.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:05 PM
TexasBikeBoy
Cruiser

Sounds like a good option to try, what grade fork oil did you use in yours?

Old 12-05-2009, 12:40 AM
AzMaestro
Intermediate

Check the motor mounts.

Quick Reply: How much front vibration is normal?