Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Guesstimate price for 883!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006 | 12:02 PM
Yellotang
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Best Guesstimate price for 883!?!?

I hate these kind of questions because they depend on so many things but I have been asked a very serious question from a friend who owns an 883 and is willing to sell it to me if my wife wants it.

I know it is not really a woman's bike and all that. Wife wants to try it out. It is a Harley after all. If she can't get this she may be stuck buying a non Harley bike, which doesn't bother me but I think it bothers her.

Ok on to the question, he is selling an 883 sportster 2002 around 420 miles obviously hardly rode. Never seen the horizontal position. Stock everything including exhaust. He thinks it is worth around $5000. I think it is worth less but I don't know how much less.

He is a very good friend who is wanting to sell it to me and would take insanely low payments with zero interest. He is the kind of friend that if I couldn't make a payment on time he would be like, "Don't sweat it."

He is also willing to throw in a lowering kit and have it professionally installed for her.

His wife is very close friends to my wife.

He told me to research what the bike is worth and then make the offer. Ebay (the worst place to find a value) is selling 2002 883's from anywhere from $3000 up to $4500.

Anyone else want to guesstimate the value?

BTW went to HDtrader.com and saw what was for sell. The prices there were more expensive then new at dealer.

Old 07-13-2006 | 12:43 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Best Guesstimate price for 883!?!?

My life-long credo has been, "don't do business with friends or relatives, unless you don't care about the relationship"...

Thumper26

Old 07-13-2006 | 12:56 PM
Yellotang
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Uh- Oh![sm=smiley13.gif]

Old 07-13-2006 | 01:09 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

You can get a price from the Kelly Blue Book website that will give you a good estimate. It's not uncommon to find used bikes more expensive than new ones at a dealer. Most people who are selling used bikes try to recover all their modifications. Remember that the modifications don't add any value to you unless it is something you would add. Another thing, as more 2004 and newer Sportsters come on the market, the lower the value will be for pre-2004 models due to the 2004 redesigns and rubber mounted engines.

My wife rides a Suzuki Intruder and prefers that bike to anything HD makes. So, unless your wife is dead set on an HD, check out the metric bikes as well.

Old 07-13-2006 | 01:14 PM
Yellotang
|
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: oldgeezer

You can get a price from the Kelly Blue Book website that will give you a good estimate. It's not uncommon to find used bikes more expensive than new ones at a dealer. Most people who are selling used bikes try to recover all their modifications. Remember that the modifications don't add any value to you unless it is something you would add. Another thing, as more 2004 and newer Sportsters come on the market, the lower the value will be for pre-2004 models due to the 2004 redesigns and rubber mounted engines.

My wife rides a Suzuki Intruder and prefers that bike to anything HD makes. So, unless your wife is dead set on an HD, check out the metric bikes as well.
was 2004 that sportster went rubber mount engines? I thought it was earlier then that.

Old 07-13-2006 | 01:16 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

I would consider that mileage on a 4-5 year old bike to be as big a draw back as an advantage. That's not what I consider "low mileage". That is almost neglect. Things that set around that long without being used tend to deteriorate from lack of use.

Old 07-13-2006 | 01:16 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member

I believe 2004 was the first year.

Old 07-13-2006 | 01:20 PM
Yellotang
|
Ultimate HDF Member

I did the kelly blue book search and it says that the retail is $5150 and trade in is around $3500.

From what I know and correct me if I am wrong. Retail is what delears sell it for. Personal sales should not and will not go that high typically. While trade in is what delears would give someone so they can turn around and sell it to make money. That means the price should be between these two numbers typically right?

So that would mean $4325???

Old 07-13-2006 | 01:24 PM
Yellotang
|
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: whaap

I would consider that mileage on a 4-5 year old bike to be as big a draw back as an advantage. That's not what I consider "low mileage". That is almost neglect. Things that set around that long without being used tend to deteriorate from lack of use.

According to frined, the bike was ran every year but always on very short trips to store, etc. because his wife doens't want him riding a bike. Yet she allows him to fly his own plane. Weird I know.

Old 07-13-2006 | 01:37 PM
CoolRide
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Yellotang

I hate these kind of questions because they depend on so many things but I have been asked a very serious question from a friend who owns an 883 and is willing to sell it to me if my wife wants it.

I know it is not really a woman's bike and all that. Wife wants to try it out. It is a Harley after all. If she can't get this she may be stuck buying a non Harley bike, which doesn't bother me but I think it bothers her.

Ok on to the question, he is selling an 883 sportster 2002 around 420 miles obviously hardly rode. Never seen the horizontal position. Stock everything including exhaust. He thinks it is worth around $5000. I think it is worth less but I don't know how much less.

He is a very good friend who is wanting to sell it to me and would take insanely low payments with zero interest. He is the kind of friend that if I couldn't make a payment on time he would be like, "Don't sweat it."

He is also willing to throw in a lowering kit and have it professionally installed for her.

His wife is very close friends to my wife.

He told me to research what the bike is worth and then make the offer. Ebay (the worst place to find a value) is selling 2002 883's from anywhere from $3000 up to $4500.

Anyone else want to guesstimate the value?

BTW went to HDtrader.com and saw what was for sell. The prices there were more expensive then new at dealer.
My take is this: If you're wife likes the bike, buy it! It IS a Harley which means if you take care of it, you will not lose much upon resale (not so with a metric) AND if Im reading you're post right, there will be NO intrest??? I was glad to pay $11,000 for my low mile 1200C and intrest at 11.75!

I know everybody has different ideas about value, but MY thoughts were the same as Im telling you, decent resale value (atleast I never keep anything for ever) its available, you know its history, theres something to be said for that! He will throw in some goodies, you will be helping out a friend! AND You will be making the little lady happy, How can you lose??
You know if mamma aint happy, aint NOBODY happy lol.
Was that even worth 2 cents?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

CR

Quick Reply: Best Guesstimate price for 883!?!?