Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start on bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Remote Start on bike?

I had almost forgotten that, in addition to the enricher/throttle problem, and the leaving it in gear issue, out of habit I "try" to make sure to turn my gas flow to off. Luckily the Harley switch will prevent the carb from getting flooded out if left on since I do admit to forgetting once in a while, but if gas flow is off it's something else that would make a remote start a problem.

Given the conversation regarding leaving ones bike in neutral versus leaving it in 1st, I have an interesting question (slightly off topic here). In the MSF course, our instructor recommended leaving it in 1st for the reasons folks here have mentioned, however I read in the owners manual that they recommend leaving it in neutral, saying that shifting it when the engine is not started can damage the tranny. I'm curious how much of that is just them covering their butt on the off chance that it would cause something to happen, and how much of it is a legitimate issue. Maybe it's just a red herring to make people park in neutral to avoid hassles with people starting up and forgetting to hold down the cluck so the bike lurches, or stalls out the engine. Just to be on the safe side, I will get on, start her up with the clutch down, then kick it to neutral before getting off while the bike warms up.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:20 PM
hep0950
Tourer

It's interesting because earlier in the owners manual it says that shifting gears while not running requires a different technique and then later gives a warning about shifting gears without the engine running. I leave mine in 1st and then normally will shift to neutral and while still holding the clutch in start the engine and then slowly release the clutch just in case the neutral light is wrong.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:09 PM
needaz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would avoid this - Forget to put it in Neutral and bad things can happen - The enricher is also an issue - I need mine when the bike is cold

Old 07-13-2006, 10:16 PM
aceospades
Road Warrior

i wouldnt even risk it..what purpose would a remote start even serve on a motorcycle? in a car its done for heating and air conditioning..i wouldnt want my harley taking off by itself(and it has before when i was on it)..which also brings to mind..the question ive always wanted to ask here but feep forgetting--why dont harleys have neutral safty switches on them? every jap bike ive ever owned or been on has them but not the american made..it really wouldnt be to much money for harley to throw them on when building the bike! and why dont they put helmet locks on either?

Old 07-13-2006, 11:02 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: aceospades
why dont harleys have neutral safty switches on them? every jap bike ive ever owned or been on has them but not the american made..it really wouldnt be to much money for harley to throw them on when building the bike! and why dont they put helmet locks on either?
Because they're Harleys, that's why. [8D] ... I kinda like the simplicity.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:05 PM
aceospades
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: JamieWG

ORIGINAL: aceospades
why dont harleys have neutral safty switches on them? every jap bike ive ever owned or been on has them but not the american made..it really wouldnt be to much money for harley to throw them on when building the bike! and why dont they put helmet locks on either?
Because they're Harleys, that's why. [8D] ... I kinda like the simplicity.
well thats not a very good answer! i can see why there is no helmet lock(because if you want one then you can buy one from them)but no safety switch doesnt make sense..it just dangerous not to have one..simplicity as that!

Old 07-14-2006, 05:10 PM
topfuel
Cruiser

It would be the same theory and doing it on a manual trans on a car. I used to have to put them in and they sucked! the only way I would ever recommend it is if you had a fuel injected bike and you took every possible safty precaution to not have it start in gear and so on!

But, like the majority I would not do it!

just my .02

Old 07-14-2006, 07:34 PM
hep0950
Tourer

On the neutral safety switch, maybe they think that if you need one you are too stupid to ride a motorcycle. One another note, I believe the Buell has one and they also have a kickstand switch that will kill the engine if you try to take off with it down. I know, it got me during my MSF class. Ever get that dumbass feeling? LOL

Old 03-07-2020, 11:54 AM
Kevin Tinman Monaghan
1st Gear

Originally Posted by skullcrusher
So what does everyone think of the idea of having a remote start system put on a bike? There's a new audio shop in town and i mentioned the idea to them and they think it might be a hit. I think it would be a cool feature to have just got fun. Ya bad thing is, make it easy for someone to steal so you'd have to have a security program on it, but yay or nay? Or just like the idea???
The 2 issues I'm reading are it starting in gear which it shouldn't? They should have a neutral safety switch in them. Mine will not do anything unless it's in neutral and the clutch pulled in? As for enriching the fuel? What year are you talking, pretty much everything after 2000 is fuel injected?

Old 03-07-2020, 12:05 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

2007 for EFI. A 2006 thread clearly predates that.

My bike starts with the clutch out or engaged so long as it is in neutral. If your bike won't would suggest there might be something wrong with it.

Quick Reply: Remote Start on bike?