Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plain Jane: my spare time project bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 02:50 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Plain Jane: my spare time project bike

I've started a couple different threads talking about little pieces of my spare time winter project bike (2003 XL1200C) that has picked up the name Plain Jane.

Instead of starting a new thread every time I want to share something on it I'll put it here.

I've tried a couple different stock 2-up seats, a Corbin solo, Le Pera solo...none of which fit what I wanted. My goal with this bike is to keep it passenger capable since my others are dedicated solo bikes but expose the cool lines of the rear fender when I'm alone.

I've also been putting together a mini-sportster for my nephew. I picked up a Bates solo spring seat for it and tonight I had it off to finish up the spring mounts. On another thread someone mentioned using a Bates style solo without the springs on their bike & I liked the look so I tried it on Plain Jane.

Bla bla bla here it is:

I like it so I'll be ordering another one. I'm going to make a pan that covers the wires & junk that's usually hidden below the stock seat & will also provide mounting points for this seat. It's alot more comfortable than it looks. I'll be shaving the tail light & seat mounting holes in the rear fender so I'll be using a suction cup pillion pad for 2-up days.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:19 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

looks sweet dude. yeah a pillion oughta do it for those times you want to get the lady out and still be able to enjoy the look of the bike when she's not. not too into chrome but the second picture of that blinged out motor is gnarly! great little project, i'll be keeping my eyes peeled on the updates.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:39 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Right on man, thanks. I'm not much in to chrome either. I've already powdercoated a ton of parts on this bike mirror black. I'm not in to shiney paint/powder as well but I think there will be a decent mix of the two on this one. I'll be ditching the chrome battery cover, triangle thing behind it, frame strut covers and some other things. I'm going to leave the motor chrome though.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:04 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Links to a couple other small things I've done so far.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...her-stuff.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...slackster.html

In the link about the air cleaner I had some funky hoses routing my crank case vent to the air cleaner spacer/bracket.

I was going to order the hardline tube deal that Slackster had on his & modify it a bit but last night I was checking out what I already had & this is what I came up with. Clean, simple & not a "kit" piece.

The chrome spacers with the tubes for the huge line I had on it is what I was looking at specifically. I noticed that the tubes were simply pressed in. I removed the tubes...

As luck would have it, the holes left were the perfect size to be tapped 1/8" NPT. Same size tapped hole in my spacer.

I had to run to Lowe's to pick up some fittings. Lowe's being open at 5 am is cool...Lowe's being open at 5 am because it's Black Friday SUCKED. Anyway, I brought home a small bag of fittings for this:

I used 1/4" fuel/heat resistant air line for the tubes. The brass fittings are a little bright & out of place. Next time I have the oven on I'll powdercoat them mirror black.

Top view with some wire loom to cover up the white print on the air line:

And the side view:

First, a pic of what I had to begin with

And what I have now

Much better.

Last edited by mreed; 11-27-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:44 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work.I wouldn't worry about the brass being too bright, it wont be for long.Also I really like the looks of that air cleaner without the cover, yea yea everyones a critic.A bates "P" pad wouldn't look bad with that seat but you got to drill 4 holes to mount it.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:02 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

When I was making that adapter piece I had the filter sitting face down on a metal table with aluminum shavings all over it. It scratched it up pretty bad...so, that's why I made the cover.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:24 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

that's trick reed! the brass actually breaks it up a bit i likey. keep it comin man!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:26 PM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really dig that setup...and i like the brass,man

Old 11-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Tike71
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks killer with those brass fittings. 100x better than before.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:44 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Air cleaner looks great, but you still need to put the Speedo back where it's suppose to be.

Quick Reply: Plain Jane: my spare time project bike