Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plain Jane: my spare time project bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:50 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your doing some great work here! love yr brass breather set up! beauty! personaly i liked it more with more of the filter showing in the center but still really nice. the fabed up shock kit looks good too.

look forward to watchin your progress

Old 12-06-2009, 12:46 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks. I really do like the brass fittings but since that's the ONLY visible brass on the bike your eyes will be drawn to it...and I feel it doesn't really fit the look I want. I'll save them for my next Sportster I will be hardtailing when this one is done.

So, I changed them out with black & chrome fittings.

I dug these wheels out of the back of the shop and was going to smooth then powdercoat them gloss black when I had the fork sliders off for the same treatment.

And started the seat pan for my Bates solo.

BUT...all of that has to wait now since I picked up some different wheels that I mentioned in another thread. My seat pan will need to be wider since I'll be spreading my frame to fit the 200/55 17 rear tire I will need to get.

Here's a pic of one of the wheels. They are Roland Sands Judge. Gloss black with a contrast cut. 21-2.15 front & 17x6 rear with matching brake rotors & belt pulley.

I'm going to try to do this without a kit. I've had a great amount of support & help from fellow HDF members. Thank you very much for that. I don't even own a single shop manual on this bike.

Wish me luck!

Old 12-06-2009, 02:17 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That bikes going to look killer when your done.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:23 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Man I hope so. I think I'll need to powdercoat alot more "stuff" but that's not a problem. I fitted the swing arm back on & it looks like if I go with a 180 tire & convert to chain I can do it with no mods to the swing arm and minimal mods to the frame. If I decide to go with a 200 & the belt I'll need to modify the right side of the swing arm & widen the frame quite a bit.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:07 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lookin really good man. rotter matches the wheel great. sounds like a chain is the way to go so ya don't have to hack up the swingarm...that might just end up bein a PITA for what you'll get outta it. i really dig the pan ya made too,

Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you. I was going to mimic your bike but I was afraid I'd end up with the exact same bike you ride! Every time I thought of something I looked at your pics & yours was that way already.

Here are a couple more pics so far.

I'm going to have to call Performance Machine...if I go with a chain I'll want a sprocket that matches the rotors. And, the front wheel isn't going to fit like I thought. The bike that these wheels came off of had a much wider front end. I noticed that the "hubs" are bolted on. I can turn them down to fit what I have but it would be easier if they made it.

I may also end up modifying the swing arm anyway. I want it longer to work better with my suspension idea and if I'm cutting it up I maight as well make it wider. Who knows, I'm stuck until I get tires. I'm rambling now.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:28 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

them fvcken wheels are bad @ss. can't wait to see them mounted.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:29 AM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plane jane,my ***!!lol!!still sick looking

Old 12-06-2009, 05:15 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks.

I found a matching sprocket! Well, kind of. It's for a left side final, only comes in one tooth count & is polished. I think it'll work though. I can powdercoat the whole thing black. Atleast it'll match better than a basic sprocket.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:32 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Messing around with the tail light wiring last night & got frustrated. I will be shaving the tail light & I already have the turn signals to tail lights module but the wiring loops through the circuit board in the tail light itself.

Walked away from that & started messing with the wheels & suspension. My front wheel's hubs are too wide. I don't like wide glide front ends so I'll have to change the hubs. They bolt on & seem to be pretty simple. PM sells the hubs they say I need but they're 290 bucks. I'm going to try to make my own before I drop so much on a piece that I'm pretty sure I can make for about 50 bucks.

Hubs.

Front wheel without the hubs.

Front wheel just sitting on the bike.

I ordered some solid aluminum stock. Since I'll be waiting for that to finish up the front I moved back to the rear. I want the wheel a couple inches back for my rear suspension idea. I'm going to try making my own swing arm. A little wider, a little longer & made out of 1.5" x 3/16" wall DOM tube.

This pic is just a couple pieces I already had bent. I make control arms & 4-links for automotive applications so I end up with alot of this stuff laying around.

Quick Reply: Plain Jane: my spare time project bike