Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much comfort do you loose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 03:55 AM
moto monkee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much comfort do you loose?

How much comfort do you loose when you convert to a bobber solo seat? After adding a strut, which seat suspension will give the most comfy ride? I'm about 165lbs., so is it a single shock, double shock, coiled springs, or the spring offered by HD in their accessories catalog for Sporties?

Old 11-25-2009, 09:37 AM
JambaJuice
Advanced

The aftermarket seat I got from Rich Philips is definitely much harder then the super padded stocker seat...I have not been back from a ride yet where I was complaining about the lack of padding...course I do not ride for more then 50miles at a time...

The HD springer seat looks way more padded and should offer some added comfort...

Good luck

Lewis

Old 11-25-2009, 10:18 AM
3rdgear
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jamba.. sick bike man.. but your seat does look like your riding on a piece of metal..

Old 11-25-2009, 11:01 AM
JambaJuice
Advanced

LoL...thanks dude...

Yes the seat is hard but I really do not notice a huge difference...I actually feel better on this one versus the factory one...of course like I said I only ride 50miles at a time...

Laters
Lewis

Old 11-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Bulpitt
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JambaJuice
The aftermarket seat I got from Rich Philips is definitely much harder then the super padded stocker seat...I have not been back from a ride yet where I was complaining about the lack of padding...course I do not ride for more then 50miles at a time...
I always thought the springs would give you the 'bounce' that would compensate for the lack of padding. Is that not correct? I guess i always thought that because i dont think i have ever seen a springer seat that had any REAL padding...they really look great & i have been considering doing it for the last 6 months, just havent pulled the trigger. This might be a deterrent as i like to ride 100+ miles when i ride...

Old 11-25-2009, 02:01 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok well this is what i got.

i got 9.5" solid struts, i used to have 2" springs on my seat and with my 210lbs *** i bottomed out every once in a while and man that hurt!!!

i'm currently rockin 3" springs and they seem to be great. thats not to say they are like a set of shocks by any means but they take the edge off.

i can ride about 300 miles with mine...i do wear a kidney belt whenver i'm goin 100 miles + away from home.

i think if i was gonna do a weld on tail end i would consided 4-5 inchers but that would only be to set me horizontal with the ground (i think 3 would leave me at a slant).

like i said i have the double spring deal. not sure about the coiled springs. i have talked with guys that ride mono shocks and they say they are really stiff.

i would personaly stay away from HD stuff....just overpriced crap IMO

Old 11-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Bulpitt
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by old skool1983
i got 9.5" solid struts, i used to have 2" springs on my seat and with my 210lbs *** i bottomed out every once in a while and man that hurt!!!
Thanks for the info. I had 10" solid struts on my bike for about 1 month w/o any spring seat & my back couldnt take it so I put shocks back on till i do the seat swap...

Old 11-25-2009, 04:07 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ride a bates style seat without springs.I like the seats but I just don't think spring seats look right on a swingarm frame.I set mine up to rest on the rear fender.It's a little rough but I'll do few hundred miles like this

Attached Thumbnails How much comfort do you loose?-1020091247a.jpg  

Last edited by FandA M; 11-25-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 PM
goinsideways136
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rock two inch springs. When I do my hardtail frame I'm going to use 3 to 4 inch springs...

Old 11-26-2009, 12:48 PM
moto monkee
Cruiser

In the pic above (goinsideways136), it looks like the spring stay compressed during the ride. How much do you weigh, goinsideways136? Do you guys think a stiffer spring wound stay "springy" during the ride? How's the "slide" factor on these seats? I've heard of guys riding journeys with these seats, but after hearing about kidney belts and back aches I need to do this right. I'm 100% sure I'm going with a Biltwell 10" strut, but still not sure what type of "spring" and seat. More advise helps, thanks guys.

Quick Reply: How much comfort do you loose?