Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Re-mapping

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:02 AM
Sporster2009UK
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Re-mapping

Hi I was told by my local dealer that if I was to change the breather/Air Filter and the exhaust/ Slip ons on my 2009 1200 custom, that the fuel injection system would re-map itself after 2 or 3 short journeys?? does any one know if this is correct? as I was thinking of buying the ThunderMax EFI http://thunder-max.com/ once I had run the bike in properly!
All the best !

Hear is to all our Troops from all our Nations

Last edited by Sporster2009UK; 11-21-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:21 AM
trib
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sporty-Uk,
While the ECM on your bike will compensate for some things, (IE ambient temp, load,
rpm, throttle position) It will not re-map itself. If you change just the exhaust, you will probably be ok. But if you change both the exhaust and the Air cleaner, you will probably be running too rich and risk the possability of "Holeing" (burning a hole) in a piston. Re-map your computer or get a fuel management system.
-Trib-

Last edited by trib; 11-21-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:39 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by trib
Sporty-Uk,
While the ECM on your bike will compensate for some things, (IE ambient temp, load,
rpm, throttle position) It will not re-map itself. If you change just the exhaust, you will probably be ok. But if you change both the exhaust and the Air cleaner, you will probably be running too rich and risk the possability of "Holeing" (burning a hole) in a piston. Re-map your computer or get a fuel management system.
-Trib-
You've almost got it right, but changing to a high flow A/C will cause the bike to be too LEAN.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

You have to do a down load to take care of more air from the new intake, and less backpressure from new exhaust. You can do one thing get a way with it, but not both.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:46 AM
meatball64
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look into that a little more your dealer just might be right. Infact there are a ton of post on this form about that very subject and plenty of info on the closed FI system that will support you dealer,if that is the only mods you do. However I think these bikes run to lean anyway but a remap from the dealer is not going to change the fuel to air ratio. You'll need some type of fuel management system or set ied's.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:58 AM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should be fine. Ride it for a while and see what happens. You can add the Thunder max later if needed.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:11 AM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by trib
Sporty-Uk,
-Trib-
running rich will never hurt an engine...just performance...running lean can detonate (preignition) and burn a hole in the piston or smoke a valve

i don't know of any year EFI sporty that has a full on auto remap/learn

you change the pipes you'll be fine,but if you change the a/c you'll need a remap.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Sporster2009UK
Novice

ok all so the general consensus is I will be ok to do the exhausts but not the air intake? and then if I need to upgrade the rest I would need to upgrade my fuel managment system! so my next question is
do harley do an upgrade so that I can do the remaping my self, or is there some software and a lead that I can buy to plug in and interact with my existing managment system?
thanks for all the replies

Old 11-21-2009, 10:35 AM
fatguy-littlebike
Tourer

Originally Posted by notfried
running rich will never hurt an engine...just performance...running lean can detonate (preignition) and burn a hole in the piston or smoke a valve

i don't know of any year EFI sporty that has a full on auto remap/learn

you change the pipes you'll be fine,but if you change the a/c you'll need a remap.
acctially running too rich can fuel wash the cylinder walls and destroy the rings. fyi

Old 11-21-2009, 11:01 AM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fatguy-littlebike
acctially running too rich can fuel wash the cylinder walls and destroy the rings. fyi
well,you're right,but unless he has an injector stuck wide open it'd be hard to do with a stock ecm

Quick Reply: Automatic Re-mapping