Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collector's Sportster??? 100th HD or 50th Sportster Anniversary???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 07:06 PM
1stGenRex
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Collector's Sportster??? 100th HD or 50th Sportster Anniversary???

I dont think is as much the model, or anniversary year, but like anything i think it has to do with the person buying it...

I mean, when ppl were kids and the 65 or 66 mustang came out, they thought it was the hottest car out there...now ppl pay big bucks for them because fo the sentimental value...

(I personaly am not a mustang guy, I used that as an example)

So the bottom line is that ANY vehicle with low milage and kept in good shape will be worth more than the same thing with lots of miles and all banged up...

Call me a poser (I've only had my sporty for 3 months, and its my 1st bike and harley) but i think ANYTHING is worth what someone will pay for it...no more, no less

Old 11-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Unamed
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have only seen one 50th around here but it seems like everyone has a 100th. That black and silver sure is pretty but now im getting sick of seeing it lol.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:44 AM
rharrison
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Unamed

Well I have only seen one 50th around here but it seems like everyone has a 100th. That black and silver sure is pretty but now im getting sick of seeing it lol.
With only 2000 made...and of those, only half (or so) on the road, it will be a while before the 50th bikes become commonplace. However, 2000 is not a "small number." I believe the special edition VRod is less than that. For that matter, VRods are not all that common...and their resale is really low...I could have purchased several VRods (used) for less than the Sporty, and the Dealer had one (new) for $12595...It was tempting...but it was not a Sportster.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:27 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I second what Harrison has said about the Vrod. Since this was my first bike when I bought it on '05, the dealer was pushing hard to sell me a Vrod. I could have had a loaded up Vrod for a little more than my 1200c and right around the same price as an entry Dyna. In that price range, money wasnt an issue for me. I was willing to spend whatever I had to to get what I wanted. Quite honestly, the 1200c was my favorite and still is. Although, I must say I've been eying up the Deluxe's, especially in Black Pearl but my Sporty isn't going to be sacraficed or replaced if I decide to get one....

ORIGINAL: rharrison

ORIGINAL: Unamed

With only 2000 made...and of those, only half (or so) on the road, it will be a while before the 50th bikes become commonplace. However, 2000 is not a "small number." I believe the special edition VRod is less than that. For that matter, VRods are not all that common...and their resale is really low...I could have purchased several VRods (used) for less than the Sporty, and the Dealer had one (new) for $12595...It was tempting...but it was not a Sportster.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:22 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1stGenRex

I mean, when ppl were kids and the 65 or 66 mustang came out, they thought it was the hottest car out there...now ppl pay big bucks for them because fo the sentimental value...

True. But those cars went thru nearly 30 years of being under 2k beater cars. Collector vehicles do this roller coaster price thing. I doubt if I would want to buy a new bike and hang on to it for decades waiting on it to depreciate to the bottom and then to start appreciating again. There are far better ways to invest money.

I lost a '77 Sport on eBay by 2 hundred bucks a while back. It had been kept in storage for years. It only had 52 miles on it. It sold for 6100 bucks. I think that bike cost around 3k new. That 3k would have grown a lot more had it been invested elsewere.

Buy 'em and ride 'em. That's what they are for.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:58 PM
1stGenRex
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

ORIGINAL: 1stGenRex

True. But those cars went thru nearly 30 years of being under 2k beater cars. Collector vehicles do this roller coaster price thing. I doubt if I would want to buy a new bike and hang on to it for decades waiting on it to depreciate to the bottom and then to start appreciating again. There are far better ways to invest money.

This is VERY true!

and given another 10 years that bike might have had a little more added value...

but you are right, holding on to a car/'bike is not very wise and not to mention not fun at all!

Old 06-30-2007, 08:25 AM
hd95thanniv
Novice

I have only seen a couple of 95th Anniversary 1200 Customs in England as very few were imported out of the 3000 production run.

One of these rare bikes is on display at the York Production Facility and some are owned by celebrities.