Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iron 883 forward controls...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 06:35 PM
mrcrazynutz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb iron 883 forward controls...

ok so i am new and i will be picking up an 09 iron 883 in the next few weeks this bike has alot of mods ... the one i am worried about is the forward controls.. I have never ridden with forwards and was wondering if anyone has any input on this set up .. also if anyone knows how easy it is to go back to mids once the forward controls are on if i don't like them... I am not all that tall that is why i don't think i will like them... i'm 5'10"
any input will be appreciated... also the bike has vance and hines short shots... Thanks.
C

Old 11-15-2009, 06:42 PM
themac5150
Cruiser

Going back to mids may require loosening or removing exhaust to gain access to the brake push rod fastener and foot peg mount. Did this bike already have them installed? Do you have the original parts on hand? It's not complicated, just requires time, patience and loctite.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:26 PM
mrcrazynutz
Cruiser

the bike will come with the forward controls already installed... will i need different hardware?? I'm planning on using the same pegs...
thanks...
i like your headlight fairing ... where did you find it??

Old 11-15-2009, 07:28 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

youll love the forwards! no worries

Old 11-15-2009, 07:52 PM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 5'8" and had forwards install before I picked mine up & I love 'em.
No problems at all with the leg stretch, plus I came from sportbikes and was just tired of riding with my knees crammed up my butt with rear controls & didn't like the mids at all. Very comfortable ride position wise, not counting the shocks but that's a whole different thread on here.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:49 PM
mrcrazynutz
Cruiser

ok... i will give the forwards a try ... i too have been riding sport bikes and am ready for a comfortable change... but final question... is it easy enough to put the forward pegs and controls as mids.. just in case???
thanks everyone...
C

Old 11-16-2009, 12:12 AM
lnrider
Cruiser

going back to mid controls will require changing your brake and shift lever. you'll also have to find the mid peg mounts. the pegs you have on the fwds should fit (pegs should be male on the mount end of the peg).
i'm 5'8" and rode with fsd controls for quite some time - i find them very comfortable. But I kept the mid controls on my dyna for better handling - i have highway pegs to make up the difference. the adavantage to having them both is that on long rides, i can shift my feet.
roll on
-L

Old 11-16-2009, 08:49 AM
missannies
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 5'4" and have an 883L. I LOVE my forward controls. Just bought a Triumph America and they come with forwards as well.

At first I was worried the forwards wouldn't let me "hug" my bike in the curves which made me very comfortable. But they're the best. I can relax my legs and on longer rides it's much better than the mids.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Dragan
Tourer

so...to be clear about this......the forwards were installed by someone else, post shipping from factory and pre-delivery to you? The iron comes with mids standard, or did I miss something?

As for the forwards...you'll have NO problem, other than wondering why you spent all that time previously riding with mids when you could have been comfortable. You're by no means "short" and you will not want to change them back. They're nice....Really nice

Old 11-16-2009, 12:13 PM
SDLS
Intermediate

I love my forward controls, i use to run my other bikes with mids.

Quick Reply: iron 883 forward controls...