Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iron 883 forward controls...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 PM
mrcrazynutz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragan
so...to be clear about this......the forwards were installed by someone else, post shipping from factory and pre-delivery to you? The iron comes with mids standard, or did I miss something?
yeah this is technically a used bike because it has like 3000 miles or so but i am picking it up from a dealership and the previous owner put on forward controls... i'm guessing that he had the same idea about comfort...
so when i get it I will give it a go with the forwards and see what happens...
thanks everyone...

Old 11-16-2009, 05:10 PM
themac5150
Cruiser

Um...comfort and Iron are not synonymous...
at least not in its stock configuration.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:11 PM
mrcrazynutz
Cruiser

ok everyone... i finally got the bike and got a chance to take it out...
i am really happy with everything on it including the forwards ...
I need a little more time to get used to the riding position with the forwards
but probably more comfortable than the mids.. I am also looking into the
mini apes for both looks and comfort... any opinions on apes... thanks

Old 12-06-2009, 07:56 PM
badbs101
Road Master

I like the look and feel of the mini apes especially at lower speeds. When going down the highway though, a set of drag bars is much better. You'll feel more like you're getting blown off the bike with the mini apes unless you have a windshield. I hate windshields so it's drag bars for me.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:04 PM
davescreation
Tourer

good luck with the new scoot and post pics man

Old 12-06-2009, 10:49 PM
lbfam730
Cruiser

Check out the Biltwell Frisco or Keystone bars. They're real nice and if you get the Keystone, you don't even have to get new cables. Just a quick install and ride.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:32 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcrazynutz
ok everyone... i finally got the bike and got a chance to take it out...
i am really happy with everything on it including the forwards ...
I need a little more time to get used to the riding position with the forwards
but probably more comfortable than the mids.. I am also looking into the
mini apes for both looks and comfort... any opinions on apes... thanks
you might wanna retink the mini apes...........Yeah, with forward controls you certainly do want taller bars, but there are some taller bars out there that look and work better than mini apes.

I recently added a 2010 Iron to my collection....Like you, I too instantly decided the low/narrow factory bars and mid controls had to go, but seeing as how I've been thru all this several times before, I really took my time deciding on foot controls and bars for this scoot.

I know at first it might seem too expensive, but I decided on 8" tall, 32" wide black T-bars from Demon Cycles for 79 bucks. I also ordered the Joker Machine speedo relocation bracket (224.00)and extended wiring from HD(149.00), and extended cables and hoses from Magnum Shielding(300.00)....All together, my bar and foot controls(299.00) swap will run about 1200 bucks, but the end result will be well worth it.

In my opinion, the Iron demands a different look rather that just typical apes....I suggest you consider taller and wider black T-bars before you decide.

I have tall apes on all my other scoots and never regretted the mods because they handle so much better and I am so much more comfortable and confident with the taller bars, but this time I'm also going for looks and not just feel.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:28 PM
mrcrazynutz
Cruiser
Wink

thanks everyone for all the help... and here are some pics of ....
Irene... my newly acquired 09 Iron 883
mods:
Stage 1 Kit w/ Vance & Hines blacked-out Shorty Duals
Screamin’ Eagle Monster Air Breather
Forward Control Kit
Progressive Lowering Kit
Rallyrunner Seat by Harley plus passenger pegs
Genuine H-D Billet-style Diamond Black grips, shifter peg/brake pedal, & rider/passenger pegs

I am also going to relocate the front turn signals and maybe do some apes... haven't deciedid yet... and yes i too think an iron should not have a windshield...
more pics: http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...azynutz/Irene/
Name:  11-13-09pictures001.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  133.3 KB
Name:  11-13-09pictures002.jpg
Views: 8712
Size:  141.2 KB
Name:  11-13-09pictures014.jpg
Views: 5993
Size:  149.0 KB
Name:  11-13-09pictures020.jpg
Views: 5608
Size:  148.0 KB

she is a beaut.... my love Irene...

Last edited by mrcrazynutz; 12-09-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:33 PM
mrcrazynutz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by badbs101
I like the look and feel of the mini apes especially at lower speeds. When going down the highway though, a set of drag bars is much better. You'll feel more like you're getting blown off the bike with the mini apes unless you have a windshield. I hate windshields so it's drag bars for me.
yeah i know... i've already taken irene out a few times and at high speeds... around 65-85 i feel the push off from the wind... i am not going to put a windshield on -just doesn't look right- maybe going slower or just putting up with it... i guess ... and yeah i think the apes are going to make it even more interesting... oh well...
C

Old 12-10-2009, 04:41 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep on the wind. The more upright you sit the worse the effect and with apes you end up clamping the bars just to hang on.

I added the HD mini fairing that they call a "headlight visor". It really helps reduce the wind to the point 90MPH is sustainable, and it certainly looks killer.

It really all depends on how/where you tend to ride most often. If the scoot is just for around town with little time at freeway speeds, then you will be comfortable with taller bars and forward controls.....Shifting just to mids will help place your weight forward and allow you to relax your grip against the wind....Another choice is to stay with low bars but just go wider.....I've got many years on scooters(owed 14 different bikes in 40 years of riding) and the Iron as it comes from the factory has the absolute worst seating/bar/peg configuration of all.

The bars need to be at least 32" wide compared to the OEM 27". That change alone will really make the bike handle better. Why they decided to go with narrow bars on the Iron compared to the Nightster is beyond me.

Last edited by oinker02; 12-10-2009 at 04:50 AM.

Quick Reply: iron 883 forward controls...